Hierarchy questions

Hello:

I developed two sheets - funding & programs. Funding can support multiple programs so I used parent/child to connect the programs with funding and then connected the program information using the child hierarchy. I did the opposite with programs - using child hierarchy, I connected funding to programs through links. I need to run reports for each funding category including the programs that it funds and for programs that receive certain funding. What is your recommendation for accomplishing that? Since I am still learning smartsheet and just started this project, I still have time to fix it to work within smartsheet's normal parameters. Now is the time to create additional sheets and links if necessary.

Before submitting this question, I read several conversation strings around some of the ways around this that includes building complicated IF[statements] and I do not have that level of understanding to make it work. I have been working my way through the smartsheet training to become certified and while I am learning a lot about how to use the program, it would be helpful to have more tutorials on how to build the sheets and utilize your templates.

Thank you for your help.

EZuroske

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Evie Zuroske

Hope you are fine, could you please supply a screenshot for your 2 sheets ( remove any sensitive data ) and i will help you with actual report and formula using your sheet so you can use it directly.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Evie Zuroske

I hope you're well and safe!

I agree with Bassam.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I would like to stay away from complicated formulas especially since updating the information will most likely end up being handed over to someone else. Therefore, let me tackle this another way.

I have multiple funding sources for multiple projects. Something like this:

Funding Source (start date, end date, amount of funding)

Project 1 (amount of funding for this project)

Project 2 (same)

Project 3 (same)

Then I have Projects with multiple funding sources

Project

Funding Source 1 (amount for project, start date, end date)

Funding Source 2 (same)

Funding Source 3 (same)

I need to have the start and end dates so I can display a Gantt chart. As I stated, I started this with parent/child relationships, but that doesn't work for reports without the complicated formula. Should I create a third sheet pulling the information from the Projects and Funding sheets? How would you proceed with building this information?

Thank you.