Basic task management functionality is missing?

Hi all,

I am testing Smartsheet for our company and all is well regarding project planning, reporting, budgeting and dashboards.

Now the final thing we need.....I am a bit disappointed about the Team Task Board, or do I miss anything? Just like any other regular task management tool, it would be great to be able to plan out tasks for all kinds of activities and regions in different lists, and to then be able to get 1 overview of tasks assigned to myself, which I can sort on date, prioritize and tick off during the day.

I am currently drawing the conclusion that I need to keep Asana next to Smartsheet for task management , or need to find another solution that offers both.

Your thoughts and advice is again very much appreciated :-)

Kind regards

Anne

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Anne Bolsius

I hope you're well and safe!

You can either filter on different criteria or use a report with other criteria. One filter/criteria you can set is the current user, so looking at the sheet/report/dashboard, the user would see their tasks and similar.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree,

Thanks for your response!

I thought about using a report, but then the user can not delete a row when a task is completed.

When using a filter, I then can't sort on date. Below is an example of the structure I want to keep and keep adding to (tasks connected to activities from the projectplan) but getting a list for e.g. only for Brian, sorted on next action date, seems impossible? (expect for using a report).

Do you happen to know if organizations indeed have a separate app for team collaboration on tasks? This does not seem to meet basic needs in Smartsheet (I know Smartsheet is project management software and not task management software, but so is Asana or Clickup :-)) .

Thanks again!

Anne

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Anne Bolsius

Happy to help!

Yes, you're right, they can't delete the task, but they could mark it complete, so it's not shown in the report anymore.

Yes, at the moment, there isn't an automatic sorting feature in the sheet, so the best option would either be to add something to the sheet so you can always get back to the default sort or use a report.

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Most of the clients I work with have ended up using Smartsheet for most things, including task management. Still, it all depends on the specific need, so I would recommend trying to use Smartsheet, and if for some reason it doesn't work, use Asana or something else as needed, together with Smartsheet, of course 😉

What do you think?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree, thanks for the 'marking it complete' idea, that actually works! I can now mimic how we do task management in Asana. Thanks a lot, that is really helpful!!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Anne Bolsius

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!