Sharing Dashboards

Why is it that only Admins / Owners can share a Dashboard?

My Control Center creates project packages, that include project team level dashboards. I would like my Project Mangers to be able to share these dashboards with their teams. They can share every other single thing associated with their project - plans, team lists, action item sheets, risk registers, etc. But they cannot be given "editor - Can Share" rights to a dashboard.

Ideally they would have "View Only - Can Share" but at least if they had editor can share I could coach them not to edit the dashboard.

Answers

• Hi @David Dolch

You're right, at an individual level Dashboards only have two sharing permissions: Admin or Viewer.

If the users have Editor - Can Share permissions for the Workspace as a whole then they can share the entire Workspace to others with Viewing permissions, which would allow these viewers to see the Dashboard (however they could also see the rest of the workspace... see: View and Share a Dashboard)

Another alternative would be to Publish the Dashboard and provide this as a link users can share as needed.

However as you've found, there currently isn't a "View Only - Can Share" sharing setting for Dashboards. Please let our Product Team know that this is something you'd like to see in the future by filling out this form, here!

Thanks,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• David Dolch
    David Dolch ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't even need a "View Only - Can Share". I am fine with letting my users have the same rights to dashboards as they currently have to other SmartSheet artifacts (sheets and reports).

I trust them not to go in and edit the dashboard.

We have a work around - we publish the dashboard and then put the published links into a sheet, that the PM can then share with whoever on their team needs to see the dashboard.

However, this is not automated through Control Center. Every time a users creates a project package, an admin has to go in, set the dashboards to published, and set up the links.

• We have hundred of clients that use the dashboard as a quick overview on how the project is coming along. The managers of each project all have editor can share permissions to the entire workspace, but are still unable to share the individual dashboard with the client. This causes a road block as I am the owner, and they are editors can share. I don't have enough time in a day to have to go in and share multiple dashboards in a day. This is something that needs a necessary change in my honest opinion.