Bug: Form editor change from single-select to multi-select does not update the form

Observation - If you have a form with a single-select dropdown and from the form editor change the field type to multi-select, the form does NOT update to allow multiple selection.

Workaround - Remove the modified field from the form and re-add it.

Limitation of workaround - You must re-create any logic and reset the field configuration.

Steps to replicate:

1. Create a new grid with at least one single select field. I used an area selection of "Parking, Lobby, Front Office, Production"
  2. Create a form. The single select field is automatically populated.
  3. Click on the single-select field and then change it from single-select to multi-select from the form editor.
  4. Open the form and observe the form is still populated as a single-select dropdown.
  5. You can leave the form editor and come back, the field will still be populated as a single-select dropdown.

***Note that if you modify the "Display as" option while the field is configured as a single-select type, then change to multi-select that the display as options go away... but the field remains in whatever single-select style that was selected.

This DOES NOT occur in reverse, going from a multi-select to single select seems to work fine.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Matt Holt

I tested this on my own account and was able to replicate what you were seeing, however it only lasted for up to two minutes.

You are absolutely correct, there wasn't an immediate change and my drop-down still showed as single-select even though my sheet now had the column has multi-select. However I waited a minute before accessing the form again, and then this time the multi-select appeared as expected.

As an alternative workaround, I created a Duplicate of the form after changing the column type and this duplicate showed the multi-select column immediately.

Would you mind testing this again, but wait up to 5 minutes to see if the form recognizes the new column properties?

If you're finding that the form still won't recognize the multi-select column after 5 - 10 minutes, please contact Smartsheet Support with a screen recording so they can identify the cause.

Thanks!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Matt Holt

I tested this on my own account and was able to replicate what you were seeing, however it only lasted for up to two minutes.

You are absolutely correct, there wasn't an immediate change and my drop-down still showed as single-select even though my sheet now had the column has multi-select. However I waited a minute before accessing the form again, and then this time the multi-select appeared as expected.

As an alternative workaround, I created a Duplicate of the form after changing the column type and this duplicate showed the multi-select column immediately.

Would you mind testing this again, but wait up to 5 minutes to see if the form recognizes the new column properties?

If you're finding that the form still won't recognize the multi-select column after 5 - 10 minutes, please contact Smartsheet Support with a screen recording so they can identify the cause.

Thanks!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now