How can I copy a form?

02/16/21
Answered - Pending Review

How can I copy a form?

I can duplicate a form, but all changes made to the duplicate affect the original form.

I would like to be able to achieve this without saving as a new sheet.

I've made some forms that involve alot of logic with the idea I could make a template form that I could then make copies of within the same sheet.

Maybe i'm just missing something or is this something we cant do.

I hope there is an easy solution, otherwise this is a huge inefficiency within the smartsheets platform.

Answers

• Heather DHeather D ✭✭✭✭✭

Brant,

Are you sure the changes to the duplicate impact the original form? I have not had that happen before. I have been able to duplicate forms and make adjustments to the duplicate, and it keeps the original as-is. (You're right - it would be ridiculous if changes to the duplicate impacted the original! Then what would the point of duplicating a form be?)

Best,

Heather

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Brant Anderson

I hope you're well and safe!

Strange!

You should of course be able to make a copy of a form and then make changes to it.

What happens more specifically?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, [email protected])

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET PARTNER & CONSULTANT / EXPERT

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

• edited 02/16/21

Hi Heather,

Thanks for your timely response.

Yes I'm sure it changes the original. I made an entire template form then made a duplicate, and filled out the duplicate form, and when I went back to my original it had made all the same changes to that form.

I've even tested this on other forms that my co-workers have created and I have the same results, the duplicates change the original form.

• director62476director62476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Heather D @Andrée Starå @Brant Anderson

I am here today because I've met this same disaster few minutes ago. I happened before but then it did not happen another time. So I went to duplicate this form with caution expecting/unexpecting changes to the original. When I checked the original it has has changed!!

The disaster part is that I have lost logic settings on the original form when I changed the duplicate. Luckingly I had only one logic.

Like i said, there was a time when this was not the case. I always duplicate form to keep compulsory fields. Today it is the case!

Hi @Brant Anderson @Andrée Starå @Heather D

Here's what I tried out of desperation and it worked. I think this can be a temporary solution for you @Brant Anderson

I closed Chrome

Then Cleared Cache

Opened Smartsheet

Made a Duplicate of the #1 Culprit Copy Form (mentioned previously)

Made Changes in the New Copy of the Culprit Form

Checked both Forms - Changes did not Affect the #1 Culprit Form.

Please test as above -

If it solves your issue, let's make a temporary rule. To Clear Cache before making a duplicate :-)

• Heather DHeather D ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi!

I just did a test, and was able to duplicate a form and make changes to it without any interference with the original. As @Andrée Starå mentioned, it may be helpful to

describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. 

Best,

Heather

Hi @Heather D

As you might have noticed my solution above, is it possible that the issue might depend on how long you have been working on the sheet you are making a duplicate form? Might be that you just opened your smartsheet and made a duplicate. While in my case when I experienced the issue, my sheets were open the whole day. But when I cleared cache the new duplicate did not affect both the copy of the orginal; and the original.

• @Heather D @director62476

Hey there,

I found out if make a duplicate of a form, then you must deactivate the duplicate form in order for it to not make changes to the original.

However, I found that it still makes changes to certain fields, I haven't actually spent enough time with it to find out exactly what still changes, however i was (mostly) able to accomplish what I wanted this way.

I still don't fully understand this function and it seems like no one at smartsheets does either, I shouldn't have write a novel to convey what my problem is, everyone has this problem and it seems smartsheets has no clear solution.

Hope this helps, I only use smartsheets when I absolutely have to for work, otherwise I think it's terrible, haha.

Brant

edited 02/23/21

Hi@Brant Anderson

Thanks for the tip.

Been with Smartsheet for 3 years now. It's a huge and brilliant application. You can contact them for any issue and they respond. If you missed my selfmade solutions - try to clear cache before duplicating. I have peace now duplicating many forms...even named one "Template (Clear Cache b4 Duplicate)" :-)