Comments in conversation field disappeared from automation email

I have automation to notify someone that is triggered when a value, from a drop down column, is selected in a row. Up until about 2 weeks ago the comments in the conversation field were included in the automation email. I have selected to include "links to sheet and all fields" of that row that triggered automation.

What changed?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Dale Heincelman

I would say that 2 minutes is borderline; I would advise keeping the comment to the same 1 minute as the trigger: ex. update the row's other content, leave a comment, immediately make the drop-down change and save the sheet. This will ensure that the comment is included with the alert.

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Hi @Dale Heincelman

Comments, like Attachments, will only be included in the email if they happen at the same time as the trigger. Is it possible that two weeks ago the person updating the drop-down column left a comment immediately before, whereas this week the comment was left a few minutes or a few hours before the trigger?

Depending on your process, you could set the trigger to be when a comment is added and then use a condition block to make sure the dropdown is a certain value.

Or, you could send an Update Request instead of an alert. The Update Request form (once opened from the email) will contain the comments for that row.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Dale Heincelman
    Dale Heincelman ✭✭✭✭✭

So if I save a comment 2 minutes before the automation is triggered on that row the comments would NOT be included in the email?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Dale Heincelman

I would say that 2 minutes is borderline; I would advise keeping the comment to the same 1 minute as the trigger: ex. update the row's other content, leave a comment, immediately make the drop-down change and save the sheet. This will ensure that the comment is included with the alert.