cant get IF statement to change value of another cell

Options

I am trying to use an IF statement to change the value of "Ball in Court" based on the "PM question" cell:

FYI - both "Ball in court" and "pm question" are dropdowns

=IF([PM Question]@row = "02 - Changes Needed", [Ball in Court]@row = "01 - ENGINEERING", "")

When I set "PM question" to "01 - Submitted" the formula doesn't error, however when I set it to "02 - Change needed" I am getting an error as shown below. Help!

Tags:

Best Answer

• Leibel S
    Leibel S ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Andrew1983

Formulas do not act as functions that can assign values to other cells.

To set the value of [Ball in Court] you would need to have a formula in the [Ball in Court] Column.

For example the below can be placed in the [Ball in Court] and it would change to 01 - ENGINEERING when you update the PM Question to 02 - Changes Needed

=IF([PM Question]@row = "02 - Changes Needed", "01 - ENGINEERING", "")

Answers

• Leibel S
    Leibel S ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Andrew1983

Formulas do not act as functions that can assign values to other cells.

To set the value of [Ball in Court] you would need to have a formula in the [Ball in Court] Column.

For example the below can be placed in the [Ball in Court] and it would change to 01 - ENGINEERING when you update the PM Question to 02 - Changes Needed

=IF([PM Question]@row = "02 - Changes Needed", "01 - ENGINEERING", "")

• Andrew1983
    Options

The challenge I am trying to solve is having that "ball in court" column show who "owns" that line item right now. Maybe I am going about this the wrong way. I was having people manually change that column (i.e. the engineer finishes their work, they change it PM so it notifies the PM) but maybe changing the "work status" to finished would trigger this...

thank you for the information though, that confirms what I was suspecting in the back of my mind.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!