Automated Move Row upon Trigger isn't working

I have the following:

• Sheet x: Various imports from Excel - rows are copied, by right clicking Copy Rows to Sheet A.
  • Sheet A: Full list
  • Sheet B: has formulas that update from Sheet A.
  • Sheet C: Closed items

Issue is that when Sheet B has a Status cell that is updated from Sheet A (via formula), a trigger should be thrown when Status changes to 0 resulting in a Move Row Workflow to Sheet C. It's not doing the Move action. I can add another action to send an alert which will send the alert, but still not move the row.

I've tried every combination I can think of to get it to trigger upon the change, but the Move action does not happen.

Note that if I set it to run at a specific time it will do the move. Not ideal as I would need to set up one for every hour (wish we could set the minutes as well).

What am I missing?

Stephanie L. Reedy, MS Software Engineering

Coordinator, HR Project MWF

myLearning LMS Administrator

Learning Technology

Ascension | Enterprise Projects

Stephanie.Reedy@ascension.org

Tags:

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @sreedy

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's by design, so it's not possible now, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

More info.

Actions that will automatically modify the sheet cannot be triggered by inbound cell-links or cross-sheet formulas. This includes Request an approvalMove rowsCopy rowsLock rows, and Unlock rows. For example, if the Status cell on the row is populated by a cell link with a value from another sheet, changes to that cell value through the cell link will not trigger a workflow that locks the row when Status changes to Complete.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @sreedy

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's by design, so it's not possible now, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

More info.

Actions that will automatically modify the sheet cannot be triggered by inbound cell-links or cross-sheet formulas. This includes Request an approvalMove rowsCopy rowsLock rows, and Unlock rows. For example, if the Status cell on the row is populated by a cell link with a value from another sheet, changes to that cell value through the cell link will not trigger a workflow that locks the row when Status changes to Complete.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Stephanie Reedy
    Stephanie Reedy ✭✭✭
    edited 02/26/21

Thank you Andrée,

It would save me so much time if this was possible so yes I will put in an Enhancement Request.

Can you please point me to where it stated:

I didn't see it when I was searching so am wondering where I missed it.

Thanks much!

Stephanie L. Reedy, MS Software Engineering

Coordinator, HR Project MWF

myLearning LMS Administrator

Learning Technology

Ascension | Enterprise Projects

Stephanie.Reedy@ascension.org

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@sreedy

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!

Here's one of the articles.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!