how to set the timestamp in a cell if another cell (status) has changed

Options

Hi all,

cell "status" is set to "open", "work" and than "finished".

I would like to set cells "open status date", "work status date", "finished status date" with the timestamp of the change of "status". How could this be done? Workflow is not able to set the value of a cell :-(.

Thank you

Best Answers

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Workflows CAN set the timestamp of the data of status.

You just need to set the conditions. You can set up a new workflow like this...

Note: each of those Pink boxes is a Condition Path. Which allows you to set different actions based on items in the condition. This workflow sets a date in the required path after setting the status.

Do be aware that the date records immediately but it is only reflected after the change is saved and teh sheet is reloaded.

See my video below as an example.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wHePeryiGghR1nNxGzf0xRUJ8e8r-tvd/view?usp=drivesdk

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Whoops. Paul is right. it doesn't include a timestamp. Paul's use case could work to. I imagine you could use three different sheets, one to copy all Work, One to copy all open, and one to copy all finished. then as he indicated use a lookup feature to pull those dates from their respected copy sheets.

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!