Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Publish Calendar Format - Hyperlinks Lost

Options
Norman Howard
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hello,

I searched but didn't see an answer to this issue:

I maintain a calendar, based off a SmartSheet template, whichI publish to our intranet. In the description field, I would like to include hyperlinks.  In grid view, the hyperlinks are active and functional. When I change to calendar view, both for myself or looking at the published calendar, the hyperlinks are dead text.  I would love to see these links function in the Calendar view.

It's very unlikely that people in my org will copy/paste the text into their browser -- they'll just think it's broken.

Also, I can't create a hyperlink with display text -- I have to paste the entire address into the field.  Is it possible to embed a formatted hyperlink into the sheet?

Thanks for your advice, Community.

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/17/17
    Options

Norman,

I can create a Hyperlink in the Primary column (the one that is displayed in the Calendar). Right-click and select the Hyperlink menu item.

In Grid view, it looks like a Hyperlink.

When I Publish (Edit - Full) the sheet, I can see the display text. It does not look like a hyperlink. Any formatting in the cell is not shown on the Calendar view.

When I double-click the text in the Calendar view, it opens a dialog showing the data in the row. In the dialog, the hyperlink looks and acts like a hyperlink again.

Not pretty, but functional.

I don't know what you mean by the 'description field'. As far as I know, only the primary column, regardless of name, is displayed on the Calendar view itself.

Craig

• Norman Howard
    edited 03/17/17
    Options

Thanks, Craig.

My takeaway here is that the hyperlinks work when they are in the primary column, but not in other columns.  Did I get that right?  In any case, it's something that I can test on my own.

I think that the "description field" was part of the template, or maybe I added it.  It's just a column in the sheet.  I've been instructing people to double click the calendar entry so that they can see all of the details of that row in a pop-up.  I was hoping that I would be able to have nice looking links in that pop-up. 

I think I'm just hitting the limits of the tool. 

I sure appriciate your input. 

• Norman Howard
    edited 03/17/17
    Options

Thanks, Craig.

My takeaway here is that the hyperlinks work when they are in the primary column, but not in other columns.  Did I get that right?  In any case, it's something that I can test on my own.

I think that the "description field" was part of the template, or maybe I added it.  It's just a column in the sheet.  I've been instructing people to double click the calendar entry so that they can see all of the details of that row in a pop-up.  I was hoping that I would be able to have nice looking links in that pop-up. 

I think I'm just hitting the limits of the tool. 

I sure appriciate your input. 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/17/17
    Options

Norman,

Here's what I see on the Calendar view:

I have Hyperlinks in the [Example] column (my Primary column) and in the [Date 2]

Both function correctly as links.

Craig

Calendar.jpg

Popup.jpg

• Norman Howard
    Options

Now I see how to do it.  I was trying to embed a hyperlink in the text of a cell.  I see that I can make the entire cell a hyperlink with display text.  I will adjust my sheet so that this is possible.

Thanks very much.  This was extremely helpful to me.

Cool

This discussion has been closed.