Project Plan

My Go Live task on my Project can only be executed over the weekend.

All other tasks on the Plan are Mon to Fri. Is there a way of adding an additional "weekend" calendar for a specific task or restricting a task to a weekend/specific date?

If there is a delay of a couple of days the aim is to move the tasks to the following weekend rather than mid-week.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Michael L

Thank you for clarifying! Yes you're right: dependencies are set based on number of days, not on location during the week. Your alternate solution with conditional formatting sounds like the best option for now.

You could also potentially set up a helper column with a formula to alert you if it's moved to a week day, but if the visual formatting is working for you then I would stick with that.

Thanks!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Hi @Michael L

Yes! You can use Elapsed Time to allow tasks to span over weekends or holidays.

To indicate elapsed time, lead with an e before the duration. For example, e3d, e5h, e3.5d, etc. A task with a duration in elapsed time ignores non-working time. The task will start and end in the amount of time specified regardless of working day length and non-working days in the sheet. See the Duration section of this Help Article: Project Sheet Columns: Start Date, End Date, Duration, % Complete and Predecessors

Let me know if you still have questions about this after reviewing the article above.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi Genevieve,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the Elapsed time doesn't solve the issue. The Go Live task has a predecessor link - it can only start once that task is complete. If there is a delay with the "predecessor" I want the task to move to the following weekend rather than the middle of the week. Thus showing a week delay rather than a couple of days. Hope that makes sense.

The only solution I could come up with was to put conditional formatting on the task to highlight that it had been pushed to a weekday . This would allow me to make a manual adjustment to move the task to Friday (2 days).

Cheers.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Michael L

Thank you for clarifying! Yes you're right: dependencies are set based on number of days, not on location during the week. Your alternate solution with conditional formatting sounds like the best option for now.

You could also potentially set up a helper column with a formula to alert you if it's moved to a week day, but if the visual formatting is working for you then I would stick with that.

Thanks!

Genevieve