Bar Graph Color Manipulation (Over Limit) in Dashboards

Hello,

does anyone know if we can manipulate the color of the bar graph when something is out of spec. For instance the bar graphs I am graphing have all different targets and ideally I can change the color of the bar graph to red when it is out of spec. If I can't change the color of the bar graph would I be able to change the color of the label on top of the bar graph to red when it becomes out of spec? If anyone has any ideas how to display this information in a dashboard it is more than welcome.

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @MONICA BUENDIA

There currently isn't a way to change the colours of a Chart Widget (either the bars or the text) through conditional formatting or based on the data being presented. Please submit your feedback to our Product Team through this form here, when you have a minute!

There are two ways that I would potentially display this information.

One idea would be to set up a helper "Out of Spec" column in the Metric sheet where you have your percentages displayed (the source data for the chart). Then using an IF statement you could display different Status colour balls depending on the percentage. Once you have different colours displaying you can use a Metric Widget in your dashboard to display these colour balls in the Dashboard.

Another idea would be to set up a Report looking at this source data - it could bring in and display rows that are out of Spec. Then you can embed this report below the graph using the Report Widget to identify the data that needs to be reviewed.

Let me know if either of the above suggestions will work for you and if you want to see screen captures of how I would set this up!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @MONICA BUENDIA

There currently isn't a way to change the colours of a Chart Widget (either the bars or the text) through conditional formatting or based on the data being presented. Please submit your feedback to our Product Team through this form here, when you have a minute!

There are two ways that I would potentially display this information.

One idea would be to set up a helper "Out of Spec" column in the Metric sheet where you have your percentages displayed (the source data for the chart). Then using an IF statement you could display different Status colour balls depending on the percentage. Once you have different colours displaying you can use a Metric Widget in your dashboard to display these colour balls in the Dashboard.

Another idea would be to set up a Report looking at this source data - it could bring in and display rows that are out of Spec. Then you can embed this report below the graph using the Report Widget to identify the data that needs to be reviewed.

Let me know if either of the above suggestions will work for you and if you want to see screen captures of how I would set this up!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Thank you I ended up doing a report.