Is Automation Workflow can be triggered by Formula resulted change?

Options

Hi there,

I am trying to make a task automation with multiple steps. The idea is I have a master sheet where the task is being copied to from reference sheet (where all tasks in there). The Logic is, when the first task in the master sheet is completed, the second task row will be copied to the master sheet. I have a Status column in the reference sheet same as in the master sheet and put a Join(collect formula to copy the status value in the master sheet. Then I setup a automation workflow wherein the trigger is "when rows are changed" and specific column = "Status" is equal to "Complete". It will copy the next task row.

I tried to simulate it but it not trigger the automation trigger but when manually I manually change the status column, It is working. Is there a way to make it "Formula resulted value" Trigger? Any idea to make it work with human intervention in the reference sheet?

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Julius Benn Sabeniano

Hope you are fine, please try the following workflow

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Julius Benn Sabeniano

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Actions that will automatically modify the sheet cannot be triggered by inbound cell-links or cross-sheet formulas. This includes Request an approvalMove rowsCopy rowsLock rows, and Unlock rows. For example, if the Status cell on the row is populated by a cell link with a value from another sheet, changes to that cell value through the cell link will not trigger a workflow that locks the row when Status changes to Complete.

As a possible workaround, you could maybe set up a workflow that copies the row from the master to the other sheet(s) and then use that to trigger the workflow.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!