Cursor Bug when Referencing other Sheets in a Formula

Options

Hi,

I found a bug when referencing other sheets in a formula.

When referencing multiple ranges from other sheets, the cursor will go outside of the braces for the first reference, then will go inside the braces for every reference after. I need to either click outside of the braces or hit the right key to get outside of them if I don't want to generate an error in my formula.

e.g.

=sum({Range 1}*cursor*)

=sum({Range 1},{Range 2*Cursor*})

The cursor will generate inside the braces range 2 and any following ranges.

Thanks

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Andrew James

I was able to replicate what you are describing, but only if I haven't put a space after the comma, between the two ranges. This means that when you insert the new reference, the formula has to auto-add in that extra space as well. What I think happens is that this bumps the cursor inside the last brace, instead of keeping it one character over, outside of the brace.

Ex:

Instead of no space after the comma,

=SUM({Range 1},*cursor*)

Try with a space:

=SUM({Range 1}, *cursor*)

This should result in the cursor in the right place, since there are the correct number of preceding characters:

=SUM({Range 1}, {Range 2}*Cursor*)

Try adding in your second range after adding the comma and space to see if that helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Andrew James

I was able to replicate what you are describing, but only if I haven't put a space after the comma, between the two ranges. This means that when you insert the new reference, the formula has to auto-add in that extra space as well. What I think happens is that this bumps the cursor inside the last brace, instead of keeping it one character over, outside of the brace.

Ex:

Instead of no space after the comma,

=SUM({Range 1},*cursor*)

Try with a space:

=SUM({Range 1}, *cursor*)

This should result in the cursor in the right place, since there are the correct number of preceding characters:

=SUM({Range 1}, {Range 2}*Cursor*)

Try adding in your second range after adding the comma and space to see if that helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Andrew James
    Options

Ok, thanks. Gotta love funky syntax quirks.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!