Dynamic View: Adding Field Logic

I have added the following Field Logic to have certain fields required on the form when another field is marked proposed. However, with the following logic applied, the form is still able to be saved w/out those fields being completed.. even though I indicated on the form the status is proposed. Is there a reason this is not working? I do not want a user to be able to save the form unless those fields are completed. *Note I can not mark them required initially, because they are only required when the entry is actually "Proposed". Can anyone assist?

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @dwallerius98081

Field Logic in Dynamic View works differently than Conditional Logic in forms. In order for the field to recognize a new entry, the entry needs to be saved, submitting this value to the underlying sheet. Once that value is input to the cell/underlying sheet, the field logic can identify the value and apply logic to the View Panel.

What this means is that after the Status has been updated and saved, then you'll see the next two fields as required.

So, if someone had previously submitted the information on this row, and the status shows "Proposed", then when a user clicks on that row in Dynamic View then the logic in the Panel shows these fields as required. If, however, the user filling in the panel is the one who is switching the Status, the fields will only show once they hit the Save button and the new value has been entered to the sheet.

You may want to add helper text to your fields to identify this and ask your users to click "save" after each entry. Or if this is the initial intake of the row, you could set up a Form from the underlying sheet as the intake form instead of the Panel.

I hope this helps clarify how the Panel works!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• +1 as well

I've been waiting for this functionality to be released for almost 2 years. Most of what we use Dynamic view would benefits for an immediate calculation so entries could be modified to fit guidelines we've set. I can build all the formulas and controls into the Smartsheet, but because I need Dynamic View to handle the security, I lose all that functionality.

• Erin Kim
    Erin Kim ✭✭✭✭✭

+1

any movement on this enhancement request? It would be very helpful!!

• any movement on this enhancement request? It would be very helpful!!

• Coming here to +1 this request to make logic in Dynamic View work like Conditional Logic in forms AND see if there is any movement. It has been just over 2 years.

If the purpose of Dynamic View is to make working with data more interactive and intuitive, then it needs to behave as if it were live (like a form). On the back end, this would require live data connections vs the snapshot Dynamic View and Reports use of the Data Source.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Jason Hamman and @Mark_Berry

This is an older discussion that is not visible to the Product team.

The Community has a different area to vote up or +1 Product Idea requests, see the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community. I could not find a related Idea in this category - please feel free to create an Idea! This will allow other users to properly vote on your idea. The top-voted posts are reviewed each month.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Jason Hamman
    Jason Hamman ✭✭
    edited 04/05/23

Thanks for the heads up @Genevieve P. !

I submitted a new Idea for this issue. Please vote here!