Status Progression via Dynamic View or Automation

Ramsay Zaki
Ramsay Zaki ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Does Dynamic View (or native Smartsheet Automation) have the capability to have a predefined Status flow? For example, let's say we have New -> In Process -> Review -> Complete and I want things to follow that specific progression. Can I force something like "next status" via Dynamic View? Or, would all 4 statuses be viewable like a normal dropdown?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Ramsay Zaki

The Status drop-down (either in Dynamic View or in the sheet itself) would show like a regular drop-down with all options available. There currently isn't a way to restrict drop-down options from within the same column or make certain values disappear from the list. You would want to ensure that the instructions are clear for that field, perhaps with some help text above it, to indicate the order of progression.

Alternatively, you could have four separate single-select columns: one for each status. You can hide these in the source sheet and have one "Current Status" column display which option is currently selected:

The formula I used for the above "Current Status" column is:

=IF(COUNT(New@row:Complete@row) = 0, "Not Started", IF(COUNT(New@row:Complete@row) = 4, "Complete", IF(COUNT(New@row:Complete@row) = 3, "Review", IF(COUNT(New@row:Complete@row) = 2, "In Progress", IF(COUNT(New@row:Complete@row) = 1, "New")))))

Then in your Dynamic View, only show the "Current Status" column in the View Display:

For the Details Panel, don't include the Current Status column.

Instead, add in the four helper drop-down columns to the Details Panel, setting the "New" field as Required and the other three as Hidden.

Next, set up 5 Field Logic rules working backwards, starting with the Complete field. If the status is Complete, you want to hide all the other options:

But if the Status is Review, you want to SHOW the Complete field as Required, while also Hiding the other fields. These are two separate Review Logic statements:

Then you can add the final two logic rules... show "Review" after "In Progress" is selected... and show "In Progress" as Required when "New" is filled in.

The reason you don't have to hide any fields for "In Progress" is because we have the "New" field as required. This means that users cannot delete the content from this cell once it's input:

Final View:

This is what it will look like in your Dynamic View for each Status.

NEW

IN PROGRESS

(Keep in mind neither "New" nor "In Progress" can be removed as they're required fields.)

REVIEW

COMPLETE

Will this work for you? Let me know if I can clarify anything further!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Ramsay Zaki

The Status drop-down (either in Dynamic View or in the sheet itself) would show like a regular drop-down with all options available. There currently isn't a way to restrict drop-down options from within the same column or make certain values disappear from the list. You would want to ensure that the instructions are clear for that field, perhaps with some help text above it, to indicate the order of progression.

Alternatively, you could have four separate single-select columns: one for each status. You can hide these in the source sheet and have one "Current Status" column display which option is currently selected:

The formula I used for the above "Current Status" column is:

=IF(COUNT(New@row:Complete@row) = 0, "Not Started", IF(COUNT(New@row:Complete@row) = 4, "Complete", IF(COUNT(New@row:Complete@row) = 3, "Review", IF(COUNT(New@row:Complete@row) = 2, "In Progress", IF(COUNT(New@row:Complete@row) = 1, "New")))))

Then in your Dynamic View, only show the "Current Status" column in the View Display:

For the Details Panel, don't include the Current Status column.

Instead, add in the four helper drop-down columns to the Details Panel, setting the "New" field as Required and the other three as Hidden.

Next, set up 5 Field Logic rules working backwards, starting with the Complete field. If the status is Complete, you want to hide all the other options:

But if the Status is Review, you want to SHOW the Complete field as Required, while also Hiding the other fields. These are two separate Review Logic statements:

Then you can add the final two logic rules... show "Review" after "In Progress" is selected... and show "In Progress" as Required when "New" is filled in.

The reason you don't have to hide any fields for "In Progress" is because we have the "New" field as required. This means that users cannot delete the content from this cell once it's input:

Final View:

This is what it will look like in your Dynamic View for each Status.

NEW

IN PROGRESS

(Keep in mind neither "New" nor "In Progress" can be removed as they're required fields.)

REVIEW

COMPLETE

Will this work for you? Let me know if I can clarify anything further!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Ramsay Zaki
    Ramsay Zaki ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. Not ideal but that does answer the question. I've submitted an enhancement request to Smartsheet.