Conditional Formatting applied by Row instead of by Column

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if there's a way for conditional formatting to be applied across a row, rather than having to enter a new rule for every column.

For example, in the sheet below, is it possible to make a rule as follows: If Engagement Name = Variance, then apply red font to any cell in the entire row that is less than zero.

Right now, it seems like the only option is to create individual rules for every month column. Basically saying: If Engagement Name = Variance and 'Oct/2020' (column name) is less than zero, then apply red font to only that cell.

My end goal: to highlight all negative numbers in the entire sheet with the least amount of conditional formatting rules.

Any help is appreciated!

Best Answer

• Xavier Cotto
    Xavier Cotto ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the prompt response, @Genevieve P . That's unfortunate to hear, as I'm sure this is a functionality that's been requested by users for years, since it's native and so often used in Excel. I went ahead and submitted a Product Enhancement form. Have a great day!

Answers

• Hi @Xavier Cotto

Currently Smartsheet's Conditional Formatting functionality is a column-by-column set up. This means that you will need to set a rule for each of the columns in your sheet to look down through its values and see if it has less than 0. There isn't a way to set this for a full row or full sheet.

If you have a moment, please fill out this form here to provide your feedback to our Product Team!

Thank you,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Xavier Cotto
    Xavier Cotto ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thanks for the prompt response, @Genevieve P . That's unfortunate to hear, as I'm sure this is a functionality that's been requested by users for years, since it's native and so often used in Excel. I went ahead and submitted a Product Enhancement form. Have a great day!

• Want to let everyone know this is an important efficiency item and we need this SOOOONNNNN!!!! asking for three years for this is way too long in the tech world SmartSheet...let's get r done please. (as the old folks say).

• Also came to this thread looking for the same solution. I submitted a request through the product enhancement form, and hope this gets some traction!