Why can't my admin level users sort reports?

Admin level users who don't have a license have always been able to sort reports. However for the past few days this has been greyed out for them and they are unable to use the sort function.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is it a change in functionality?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Rachael Andrew

You are correct, this feature is only available to licensed users.

@Bassam.M Khalil my apologies for the misunderstanding in the initial email from Support. The ability to edit report criteria and use features like Group, Summarize, and Sort is only available to licensed users. A bug in a recent release made these features available to unlicensed users for a short time, but this has since been corrected. The Help Article image above shows the correct permissions needed.

Thanks,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/22/21

Hi,

My company users are currently facing a problem that did not previously exist which is their inability to change the filter within the report. did any of you face this problem?

even for licensed users and they have admin permission on both the report and the sheet

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Jennifer Langan
    Jennifer Langan ✭✭✭✭

I'm having this exact same issue. I have users (non-licensed) at Admin level on the workspace, the report and the sheets feeding the report and they still aren't able to adjust filter criteria or even sort the report. Help!

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/23/21

Hi @Jennifer Langan & @Hannah Light 

Hope you are fine, i called the smartsheet support team about this issue and they replay to me with the following:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Smartsheet Support. I understand that shared users are unable to change filters within a report. I am glad to assist you.

At this time, we've determined that the behavior you're experiencing is not intended and we have notified our development team, who is actively working on a resolution.

Currently, we are not able to provide a time-frame on how long the resolution could take but we are doing our best in order to have this fixed as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• I'm having the same issue. I have an unlicensed user who I gave admin access to the source sheet and report and he's not able to sort. I looked up the permissions sheet and it looks like report sorting is listed as only available to those with a license now? That seems really limiting and I thought wasn't the case in the past. Mostly just commenting on this post to see the resolution.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Rachael Andrew

You are correct, this feature is only available to licensed users.

@Bassam.M Khalil my apologies for the misunderstanding in the initial email from Support. The ability to edit report criteria and use features like Group, Summarize, and Sort is only available to licensed users. A bug in a recent release made these features available to unlicensed users for a short time, but this has since been corrected. The Help Article image above shows the correct permissions needed.

Thanks,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• @Genevieve P. I know that many people have sent this as a feature request. It's unbelievably unfortunate that this feature is not allowed. I imagine most users use Reports to provide select information to their teams for them to be more effective, without inundating them with unnecessary inputs. Without this feature, my database has become very limited in its ability to support my teams.

Most businesses can't afford a licenses for every employee. Smartsheets should really consider backtracking this and allow unlicensed admins to at least filter and sort.