Auto-numbering for Sub-items / Hierarchical Relationships

Options

Good morning,

I would like to know if there are any plans for updating the Auto-numbering system to take account of hierarchical relationships, such as:

1.1.1 ... and so on.

I have seen a few posts on this forum from years back which have requested this feature, with confirmation from Smartsheet employees that this was in the works (https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/8536/auto-numbering), so it I find it surprising that this still hasn't been done.

Further to this, is there a work-around I can implement in the interim in order to implement a numbering system that takes this into account? Any solution would be most welcome!

Kind regards,

Gerhard

Best Answer

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/31/21 Answer ✓
    Options

@Gerhard da Costa Pinto

This is an interesting thread. I followed the links that Andree put up and experiemented with that sheet. These are my results:

In my humble opinion, this solution doesn't work, the numbers are NOT what I would expect from a WBS. EDIT!!! After posting this I went back to the sheet where I took the above screen grab and it had saved and amended all the WBS code to a code that WAS Correct!! Weird that it saved like this first though!

The same parent list in my sheet comes out with these results:

APOLOGIES - I noticed my screen shot above has incorrect Level4 within the numeric only code, that is due to me only coding up to level 3 in that column! I only developed this as an exercise for myself! I went up to Level 4 in the Alpha and level 3 in the numeric. Have adapted the IF to state no level 4!

Happy to share you to the sheet if you'd like to see how this was achieved.

Kind regards

Debbie

Answers