International Holidays

In MS Project you're able to apply a calendar to a specific task. I understand you can't do this in SmartSheet but I'm wondering how people get around that? We have to consider China holidays and we typically just apply a non working calendar to that part of the timeline so that we understand the delay. Surely there are others using SmartSheet who encounter this. What's best practice?

Answers

• Hi @Amy Rosenberg

In Smartsheet's Project Settings you can define additional non-working days, however these dates will be applied to the entire sheet (or entire Project). See: Define Working Days, Non-working Days, and Holidays on a Project Sheet.

You could potentially break out your Project into different sheets (one of which would have different Non-working days set up for the international tasks), then you could consolidate these sheets into one Gantt view through using a Row Report. However keep in mind you won't be able to set up dependencies across sheets.

An alternative would be to add in a Lag Day for those specific tasks and leave a comment on the row to indicate why there's an additional Lag. This would allow you to keep all tasks in one sheet and use dependencies across all tasks (see: "Lag Time and Lead Time" at the very bottom of Enable Dependencies and Use Predecessors).

I'd be interested to hear if other members have additional suggestions, too!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now