Is there automation to create sheets and/or sub-tasks?

Our team gets engagements/requests/intakes from other teams. Right now we use Google Forms, Google Sheets, and a lot of custom GAS automation. I am trying to see if I can move to Smartsheets.

Every engagement has X # of tasks. We use GAS automation to automate this process of creating those tasks from a list of template tasks.

I'm trying to see if Smartsheets can do the same?

1. I want it so when a user submits a Smartsheets Form, it either creates X # of sub-tasks to that entry or it creates a new sheet from a template sheet and links it to the form submission?
  2. Is it possible to prevent a task from being marked completed/done until all of its children/sub-tasks are done?

Thank you!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @emailyoumust

I hope you're well and safe!

Please see my comments/answers below,

1. I want it so when a user submits a Smartsheets Form, it either creates X # of sub-tasks to that entry or it creates a new sheet from a template sheet and links it to the form submission?

[Andrée Starå] I have an idea of creating a solution by using a so-called helper sheet and copy row automation, but I haven't had time to test it further.

1. Is it possible to prevent a task from being marked completed/done until all of its children/sub-tasks are done?

[Andrée Starå] Yes, we could use a workflow to lock the row until all children are completed or show a message in the sheet that would show until all children are finished.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Is there any update on using a helper sheet? I also want to automatically add rows when a form submission is made.