Copy / paste nested rows in the same sheet

Manu
Manu ✭✭✭✭

I can't seem to copy past multiple rows (in the same sheet) when they are folded / nested. Doing so only copies the one top level row.

e.g. If I want to copy the entire project template by selecting the Project Row while it is fully closed, the activities (and all subtasks) do not get copied.

Project

|_ Activity 1

|_ Activity 2

I am forced to open the entire project and shift-select every row to copy then paste below. This is really frustrating, because it means I can't keep a folded "template" at the top of my sheet top be re-used multiple time in the same sheet.

Please tell me there is a good work around?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Manu

You're correct, using Copy/Paste on a folded hierarchy will only copy the currently visible rows and you will need to expand out the children rows to copy them as well.

Please see the section Copy and Paste Hierarchy in this Help Article: Tips for Using Copy and Paste.

I would suggest saving the hierarchy to a separate sheet instead of the top of your current sheet. Then you can use the Copy to Another Sheet command to move the entire section to your destination sheet (see: Copy Rows to Another Sheet).

Cheers!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Manu

You're correct, using Copy/Paste on a folded hierarchy will only copy the currently visible rows and you will need to expand out the children rows to copy them as well.

Please see the section Copy and Paste Hierarchy in this Help Article: Tips for Using Copy and Paste.

I would suggest saving the hierarchy to a separate sheet instead of the top of your current sheet. Then you can use the Copy to Another Sheet command to move the entire section to your destination sheet (see: Copy Rows to Another Sheet).

Cheers!

Genevieve

• Manu
    Manu ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Geneviève, this is a good idea and a good work around.

• No problem! I'm glad that will work for you.

• Manu
    Manu ✭✭✭✭

Weeeell maybe I spoke to soon :) reading the help article, it seems predecessors won't carry over :/ That's a huge bummer.

• Barry Bowles
    Barry Bowles ✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P Hi I have the same issue as @Manu but I see what you provide as an answer is in conflict with what the smartsheet help files say. This is what they say below and it clearly indicates that hierarchy will be copied ny just copying the parent row - that doesn't happen though:

Copy Rows to Another Sheet

Avoid having to manually duplicate your work by copying rows from one sheet to another.

To copy rows from one sheet to another:

Select the rows that you want to copy by holding Shift (select a range of rows) or Ctrl (select disparate rows) and clicking the desired rows numbers on the left side of the sheet grid.

NOTE: If you select parent rows, all child rows underneath will also be copied. After you copy the rows, you can delete the child rows from your destination sheet if you don't need them. For more information on parent and child rows, see Hierarchy: Indenting and Outdenting Rows.

• Hi @Barry Bowles

Are you copying within the same sheet or across sheets?

If you're copying within the same sheet, then you will need to expand out the rows to select the content you want to copy (Tips for Using Copy and Paste.)

If you're coping across sheets, from Sheet A to Sheet B, then the information in the Help Article (Copy Rows to Another Sheet and the information you detailed above) will be correct, child rows will come across.

Let me know if I can clarify further or provide screen captures to show the expected behaviour!

Cheers,

Genevieve