Is there a limit to the amount of sheets that can be a source for a report?

I use two reports to consolidate high level risks and issues for projects across my team. However, we are running into issues where sources seem to be disappearing.

Is there a limit to how many sources a report can pull from? If so, what is it?

One report has 12 sheets, and the other has 9. Is there potentially another reason that folks' sources may not stick over time? Are my team members somehow overwriting each other?

Help! :-)

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't heard of a sheet limit on reports, but I generally end up having everything consolidated on a rollup sheet that my reports pull from or are limited to 2 or 3 sheets per report based on my own personal organization of data.

@Andrée Starå @Mike Wilday @Genevieve P Here's another "limits" question. Do any of you have any insight?

• Hi @EducatorBoomer (and @Paul Newcome)

I don't know the specific hard-limit for the number of sheets in a Report, but I've seen one before with 300+ sheets which worked as expected. I wouldn't recommend going over 250, but it's possible. In any case, a Report with 12 sheets and another one with 9 sheets should be absolutely fine!

In your first screen capture I notice you have a Workspace listed as a source. Is it possible that users are moving sheets in/out of that workspace, which is what is adjusting the source data?

Or, could the 4 filters you have applied to these two reports be filtering out rows from certain sources, so they don't appear?

Cheers!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, we work with around 30-50 sheets at a given time and I haven't seen any issues.

• Thank you, all, for the validation. We are going to keep a close eye on these reports to see if the issue persists. Luckily we don't expect hundreds of sources, so making fixes is not extremely difficult. Our filters have been confirmed. I will share any insights here as I find them!

• Lindsay Whitbread
    Lindsay Whitbread ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen thousands of sheets referenced and the report was working well.

Smartsheet's current recommendation is to keep below 1000 sheets to ensure good performance. Like everything, your mileage may vary depending on the size of the sheets themselves.

Smartsheet Lead @ InfoSpark

Asia Pacific Smartsheet Partner of the Year (2023)

Platinum Smartsheet Partner | www.infospark.com.au