Can Isblank be used for more than one cell?

I want to show if a column/cell is blank. I've used the formula =IF(ISBLANK([Tutor Name]@row), "Not Complete", "Complete") It works for one cell/column, however I have a range of 5 cells/columns.

How do I connect the formula to return a Complete or Incomplete---all cells need to have data to return "Complete" and if any cell is blank the value should be "Not Complete".

Best Answer

• Cody Holmes
    Cody Holmes ✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/22/21 Answer ✓

Hi Charlene,

There is probably a simpler way to do this, but I would probably handle it this way:

=IF(AND(NOT(ISBLANK([Column1]@row)), NOT(ISBLANK([Column2]@row)), NOT(ISBLANK([Column3]@row)), NOT(ISBLANK([Column4]@row)), NOT(ISBLANK([Column5]@row))), "Complete", "Not Complete")

Try this out and let me know if it works. If it does, be sure to accept it as a solution so that others who may have a similar question can find the answer. And give me a vote up if I proved helpful. 👍

P.S. Keep in mind that if you ever add a Column6... etc. You will have to add those into the AND condition with the same NOT(ISBLANK(...)) test.

Edit: I have added a picture of a formatted formula so that you can better understand the logic of it.

Answers

• MCorbin
    MCorbin Overachievers Alumni

Try this:

=IF(AND(NOT(ISBLANK([Column1]@row)), NOT(ISBLANK([Column2]@row)), NOT(ISBLANK([Column3]@row)), NOT(ISBLANK([Column4]@row)), NOT(ISBLANK([Column5]@row))), "Complete", "Not Complete")

• Cody Holmes
    Cody Holmes ✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/22/21 Answer ✓

Hi Charlene,

There is probably a simpler way to do this, but I would probably handle it this way:

Try this out and let me know if it works. If it does, be sure to accept it as a solution so that others who may have a similar question can find the answer. And give me a vote up if I proved helpful. 👍

P.S. Keep in mind that if you ever add a Column6... etc. You will have to add those into the AND condition with the same NOT(ISBLANK(...)) test.

Edit: I have added a picture of a formatted formula so that you can better understand the logic of it.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Charlene Stacy

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to previous excellent advice/answer.

Here's another option. I prefer this structure because it's less to type. 😉

=IF(AND([Column1]@row <> ""; [Column2]@row <> ""; [Column3]@row <> ""; [Column4]@row <> ""; [Column5]@row <> ""); "Complete"; "Not Complete")

Depending on your country/region, you'll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!