Can I have a cell populated with specifc text based on another cell's contents?

One of my forms has a field that requires a Yes or No answer and I would need another field to be filled out if the answer is Yes but stay blank if the answer is No.

Example: If Column/Field 1 asks: Is your hair curly? I want Column/Field 2 to show "XXX" if the answer is "Yes", but be blank if the answer is "No".

At first I thought of adding Column 2 as a hidden field to my form with "XXX" as the default, but that won't work because I only need "XXX" to appear if the answer is "Yes". It needs to stay blank if "No". An IF statement in column 2 won't work either because in the event it is "No" (and column 2 is now blank), I need to be able to add text in that cell based on other criteria in my sheet.

Is this possible?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Susan Vieira

Yes, this is possible!

You're on the right track with a Default Value. You can set up Conditional Logic in your form so that if "Yes" is chosen, a certain other field is "shown".

But then you can set up the other field, Column 2, as hidden with a default value.

This means that the field will only be populated with the default value if "Yes" is chosen. It won't appear on the Form itself for the user, but it will populate the underlying sheet. Does that make sense? Here's an article that goes through Conditional Logic in forms.

Let me know if this works for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers