Formula - Add "Blank" as a value in IF formula

Options

Hi Smarties,

I know this is probably an easy one, but I have been cracking my head over the last 2 days so here I am!

I have 4 columns representing Task 1 to Task 4. Each column has a single Drop-Down with Not Yet Started, In Progress and Completed.

On the column Health, I have symbols of Red, Yellow and Green.

Basically, I want to build an IF function, whereby if one of the cells in Task 1 to Task 4 is Not Yet Started, it will turn Red, if any of them In Progress it will turn Yellow otherwise Green (if Completed).

I managed to do this with Contains, see below :

=IF(CONTAINS("Not Yet Started", [Task 1]@row:[Task 4]@row), "Red", IF(CONTAINS("In Progress", [Task 1]@row:[Task 4]@row), "Yellow", "Green"))

However, I need to put Blank as Red as well as you can see it is showing Green when the cells are Blank.

I have tried to use ISBLANK, OR and AND but I am not sure if I have done it right.

Any advice will be appreciated otherwise I wont be able to sleep tonight! 😁

Thanks

Syed

Tags:

Best Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Syed Muhafzal 

Hope you are fine, please find in the following the formula as per your description.

=IF(OR([Task 1]@row = "Not Yet Started", [Task 2]@row = "Not Yet Started", [Task 3]@row = "Not Yet Started", [Task 4]@row = "Not Yet Started", ISBLANK([Task 1]@row), ISBLANK([Task 2]@row), ISBLANK([Task 3]@row), ISBLANK([Task 4]@row)), "Red", IF(CONTAINS("In Progress", [Task 1]@row:[Task 4]@row), "Yellow", "Green"))

the following screenshot shows the result

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/25/21 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Syed Muhafzal

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Bassam's excellent advice/answer.

Here's another option.

=IF(COUNTIF([Task 1]@row:[Task 4]@row; "") > 0; "Red"; IF(CONTAINS("Not Yet Started"; [Task 1]@row:[Task 4]@row); "Red"; IF(CONTAINS("In Progress"; [Task 1]@row:[Task 4]@row); "Yellow"; "Green")))

Depending on your country/region, you'll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Syed Muhafzal 

Hope you are fine, please find in the following the formula as per your description.

=IF(OR([Task 1]@row = "Not Yet Started", [Task 2]@row = "Not Yet Started", [Task 3]@row = "Not Yet Started", [Task 4]@row = "Not Yet Started", ISBLANK([Task 1]@row), ISBLANK([Task 2]@row), ISBLANK([Task 3]@row), ISBLANK([Task 4]@row)), "Red", IF(CONTAINS("In Progress", [Task 1]@row:[Task 4]@row), "Yellow", "Green"))

the following screenshot shows the result

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Girish.E103301
    Options

Thanks its working for me

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/25/21 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Syed Muhafzal

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Bassam's excellent advice/answer.

Here's another option.

=IF(COUNTIF([Task 1]@row:[Task 4]@row; "") > 0; "Red"; IF(CONTAINS("Not Yet Started"; [Task 1]@row:[Task 4]@row); "Red"; IF(CONTAINS("In Progress"; [Task 1]@row:[Task 4]@row); "Yellow"; "Green")))

Depending on your country/region, you'll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Syed Muhafzal
    Syed Muhafzal ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/25/21
    Options

Hi @Andrée Starå @Bassam.M Khalil

You guys rock! Yup these two strings work and I can now see what I did wrong (or didnt do).

Although @Andrée Starå do you mind letting me know, why did you put ">0" in the formula? I believe this was the missing piece in one of my attempts earlier :)

Thank you both and I hope you are doing well too!

Syed

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Syed Muhafzal 

Thanks for the kind words and we are happy to help you at any time

PMP Certified

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!