Unparseable???

Options

I am trying to figure out why my formula keeps saying #UNPARSEABLE

I am trying to take the first four digits of a project number and join it with 2 digits that are the suffix to create a new project number. Please help! Here is the formula:

=JOIN(MID([Project Number]1,1,4):[Project Number Suffix]@row)

Tags:

Best Answer

• Melissa Manzanera
    edited 04/27/21 Answer ✓
    Options

The JOIN function only works if the two information columns are together as it asks for a range. If they aren't together you can join them manually with a plus sign. If they are numbers they will add up so we can place a set of quotation marks between two plus signs

=MID([Project Number]1,1,4)+""+[Project Number Suffix]@row

Try this formula.

If you'd like for there to be a delimiter between the two values you can add it between the Quotation Marks like this:

=MID([Project Number]1,1,4)+"-"+[Project Number Suffix]@row

=MID([Project Number]1,1,4)+"/"+[Project Number Suffix]@row

Hope this helps!

Answers

• Melissa Manzanera
    Options

Hi Sam Sasin,

When a formula says #UNPARSEABLE its a syntax problem. Reviewing your formula, I guess that the error is the colon you have in the middle.

=JOIN(MID([Project Number]1,1,4):[Project Number Suffix]@row) try replacing the colon with a comma,

=JOIN(MID([Project Number]1,1,4),[Project Number Suffix]@row)

Let me know if this worked!

• Sam Sasin
    Options

I changed the colon to a comma like you said and it did the MID function but did not add the last two numbers on with the JOIN function, how can I get the JOIN function to work?

• Melissa Manzanera
    edited 04/27/21 Answer ✓
    Options

The JOIN function only works if the two information columns are together as it asks for a range. If they aren't together you can join them manually with a plus sign. If they are numbers they will add up so we can place a set of quotation marks between two plus signs

=MID([Project Number]1,1,4)+""+[Project Number Suffix]@row

Try this formula.

If you'd like for there to be a delimiter between the two values you can add it between the Quotation Marks like this:

=MID([Project Number]1,1,4)+"-"+[Project Number Suffix]@row

=MID([Project Number]1,1,4)+"/"+[Project Number Suffix]@row

Hope this helps!

• Sam Sasin
    Options

That does make a lot of sense, I tried your first formula because I do not need a delimiter, but now this formula is saying it is #UNPARSEABLE

• Melissa Manzanera
    Options

I have edited the last comment as I accidentally left a parenthesis, please try copy and pasting it again or just removing the last parenthesis from your formula.

• Sam Sasin
    Options

That worked! Thank you so much!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!