Vlookup person on other sheet, return reference if a date falls between 2 other dates - V2

Options

Good morning,

This is a follow up question on one I asked yesterday and which I closed before realizing I needed some more help: https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/comment/289238#Comment_289238

@Bassam Khalil helped me brilliantly with the below formula but there is another variable I hadn't taken into account.

=JOIN(COLLECT({New Sheet2 Range 1(Contract Reference)}, {New Sheet2 Range 2 (Name)}, Name@row, {New Sheet2 Range 3 (Contract Effective Date)}, <[Date of Mission]@row, {New Sheet2 Range 4 (Contract Expiration Date)}, >[Date of Mission]@row))

PROBLEM: Some people have 2 contracts running at the same time, one for a specific type of Mission (A) and another for another type of Mission (B). The issue with the above formula is that it pulls the Contract reference of both contracts running at the same time for those that are in that situation.

QUESTION: Is there a way to have SmartSheet determine, lookup mission type and mission date in Sheet 2 and if you see a YES, lookup Contract Reference for that person? See below screen shots and Excel files to play around with.

Best Answer

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @JDen

Please check the following formula, i added in your shared sheet.

=IF([Type of Mission]@row = "A", JOIN(COLLECT({New Sheet2 Range 1}, {New Sheet2 Range 2}, Name@row, {New Sheet2 Range 3}, <[Date of Mission]@row, {New Sheet2 Range 4}, >[Date of Mission]@row, {Mission A}, "Yes"), " / "), IF([Type of Mission]@row = "B", JOIN(COLLECT({New Sheet2 Range 1}, {New Sheet2 Range 2}, Name@row, {New Sheet2 Range 3}, <[Date of Mission]@row, {New Sheet2 Range 4}, >[Date of Mission]@row, {Mission B}, "Yes"), " / ")))

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @JDen

Hope you are fine, could you please share me as an admin on both sheets so i can rectify the formula, and please don't forget to vote for me in my posts 😃 you will help me with your vote.

PMP Certified

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• JDen
    JDen ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Bassam Khalil , I just added you as an Admin. Thanks for the help.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @JDen

Please check the following formula, i added in your shared sheet.

=IF([Type of Mission]@row = "A", JOIN(COLLECT({New Sheet2 Range 1}, {New Sheet2 Range 2}, Name@row, {New Sheet2 Range 3}, <[Date of Mission]@row, {New Sheet2 Range 4}, >[Date of Mission]@row, {Mission A}, "Yes"), " / "), IF([Type of Mission]@row = "B", JOIN(COLLECT({New Sheet2 Range 1}, {New Sheet2 Range 2}, Name@row, {New Sheet2 Range 3}, <[Date of Mission]@row, {New Sheet2 Range 4}, >[Date of Mission]@row, {Mission B}, "Yes"), " / ")))

PMP Certified

• JDen
    JDen ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That worked brilliantly, thank you very much sir! I also learned a lot in the process and that is invaluable, greatly appreciated.

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@JDen

I am glad that you found the solution in my answer and I will be happy to help you at any time.

PMP Certified

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!