Grouped Templates and Dashboards

Options
Chris Mondeau
Chris Mondeau ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 09/12/23 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hi All,

I was curious if anyone has some examples of how you use grouped templates and have that data roll up into a metric sheet/dashboard.

For example, I have a template group with 2 schedules (one accelerated, and another standard). By default I have the standard schedule selected. When a PM comes in to create a project, I'd like for them to be able to select the schedule of their choice, and have the Project level dashboard update accordingly. I've found, however, that I have to either have 2 dashboards tailored to each schedule, or one dashboard with a bunch of widgets that error out, or have null data displayed. Ideally I'd be able to have one dashboard that's smart enough to filter out content that doesn't exist.

Along those same lines, if I have optional templates that are selected after a project is provisioned, have a way for those to automatically display on the dashboard without using a global update to apply the changes.

I've tried making a combination of reports and sheet summary reports since Reports are more "dynamic" and can adjust for new data so long as the column structure is the same, but I've run into issues with some of the widget types (charts especially) being formatted.

Comments

• Steve Reed
    Steve Reed ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Chris Mondeau I am interested in the feedback that you receive on this question. I am starting to design a complex solution for a customer that may have multiple groupings of schedules. The one thing that I was going to start experimenting with was exactly the scenario you talked about in this note. How do I report/dashboard for the resulting projects when I have the option of choosing various templates. Hopefully, you get some expert feedback.

Steve

Steve Reed, Smartsheet Practice Lead/Architect

ADAPTURE, Smartsheet Platinum Partner

sreed@adapture.com | 843.422.1484

• Chris Mondeau
    Chris Mondeau ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @James Allen! Have you run into any community members in user groups that have come across some solutions or creative designs for something like this?

Thanks!