Multi Select column logic to return results for a separate multi select column

Options

I'm very new so apologies if I can't make sense of my question. I want to create a formula that will take input from column 1 which is a multi select (about 5 choices) column type, and take input from column 2 which is a checkbox column type and then return results in column 3 which is a another multiselect column (about 170 choices). Column 1 is essentially a grouping of choices from column 3, and I would like the user to be able to check column 2 as true to auto assign the choices from column 3, while having the option to set column 2 as false and then manually select their choices from column 3.

I'm still learning the formula so I will try to put the logic in plain language here:

-If group 1 from column 1 and column 2 is true, then column 3 becomes choices 1,3,6,9.

-If group 1 and group 2 and column 2 is true, then column 3 becomes choices 1,3,6,9 AND 2,4,5,7.

And anytime column 2 is false, the user will manually enter their choices fro column 3.

Tags:

Best Answer

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Adam Belohradsky ,

Unfortunately Smartsheet's current functionality won't support what you're trying to do. You can't use a formula to turn off a formula in another column and allow manual entry. The ability to dynamically change drop down options doesn't exist either; without subscribing to a 3rd party solution.

I don't have another solution for you either. There are lots of smart and creative people in the Community. Maybe someone else has an idea for you.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Adam Belohradsky ,

Unfortunately Smartsheet's current functionality won't support what you're trying to do. You can't use a formula to turn off a formula in another column and allow manual entry. The ability to dynamically change drop down options doesn't exist either; without subscribing to a 3rd party solution.

I don't have another solution for you either. There are lots of smart and creative people in the Community. Maybe someone else has an idea for you.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!