Transfer a single Smartsheet Workspace

Hello everyone,

I have a problem : I have a user in my account that is left for a unlimited period of time.

I would like to transfer his ownership of a workspace to another person. The problem is that :

If I go in the admin center, I can only transfer the propriety for all the elements and I don't want this

If I ask to be the owner of the workspace, it sends a request to the people that is away and he will not be able to accept the request as he is unaivable.

Does anyone have already been in the same situation ?

Thank you very much for your help, have a nice day !

Corentin

Best Answer

• Krissia B.
    Krissia B. Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hello @Corentin Dal Farra ,

Upon further review on this topic, at this time Smartsheet does not have a programmed capability for that specific feature in the Admin Center to only select a workspace or specific Smartsheet item for transferring ownership, but it is a really great idea! When you have a moment, please submit a Product Enhancement Request to let our Product team know about your feedback.

In the meantime, you have the following options I found to be the most useful in this scenario.

• Request a one-time backup before you transfer the ownership of the Workspace. A backup consists of a ZIP folder containing the following:
      • Excel (.xlsx) files of the data from each sheet
      • a folder containing any images and a folder containing any attachments that were uploaded (attachments from third party sources are not included in the backup. However, this solution is not as flexible as the one presented below).
    • Create a copy of the user's workspace (who will be unavailable) to yourself. This will allow you to easily recreate a set of sheets to be used for a new project or client with similar characteristics. You have the option to have any reports, dashboards, sheet hyperlinks and cells link refer to your newly created Smartsheet items or Original Smartsheet items (which in this case, from the user who will be unavailable)

If your workspace contains more than 100 items, you’ll need to create a new folder and split the items between the two. Smartsheet only allows copies up to 100 items. You can copy both folders and then re-add the copied files back into the copy of the original folder or Workspace. This Help Center article will provide you with further information about working with copying folders in Smartsheet: Copy a Folder or Workspace.

For more details of what’s included on your backup, or how you can set up one, please visit the following Help Center article: Request a Backup.

Let us know if you have additional questions on this!

Cheers,

Krissia

Answers

• Krissia B.
    Krissia B. Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hello @Corentin Dal Farra ,

Upon further review on this topic, at this time Smartsheet does not have a programmed capability for that specific feature in the Admin Center to only select a workspace or specific Smartsheet item for transferring ownership, but it is a really great idea! When you have a moment, please submit a Product Enhancement Request to let our Product team know about your feedback.

In the meantime, you have the following options I found to be the most useful in this scenario.

• Request a one-time backup before you transfer the ownership of the Workspace. A backup consists of a ZIP folder containing the following:
      • Excel (.xlsx) files of the data from each sheet
      • a folder containing any images and a folder containing any attachments that were uploaded (attachments from third party sources are not included in the backup. However, this solution is not as flexible as the one presented below).
    • Create a copy of the user's workspace (who will be unavailable) to yourself. This will allow you to easily recreate a set of sheets to be used for a new project or client with similar characteristics. You have the option to have any reports, dashboards, sheet hyperlinks and cells link refer to your newly created Smartsheet items or Original Smartsheet items (which in this case, from the user who will be unavailable)

If your workspace contains more than 100 items, you’ll need to create a new folder and split the items between the two. Smartsheet only allows copies up to 100 items. You can copy both folders and then re-add the copied files back into the copy of the original folder or Workspace. This Help Center article will provide you with further information about working with copying folders in Smartsheet: Copy a Folder or Workspace.

For more details of what’s included on your backup, or how you can set up one, please visit the following Help Center article: Request a Backup.

Let us know if you have additional questions on this!

Cheers,

Krissia

• Corentin Dal Farra
    Corentin Dal Farra ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @Krissia

Thank you for all these precisions, I will look at the best option to do my transfer. I will also make a product request enhancement as transfering feature is really important to my use of Smartsheet.

Have a nice day,

Corentin