Max Function but with Text

Hello Smartsheet Community: I want the Overall column to look at Issue A, Issue B, Issue C and Issue D and return the highest level. The levels are No Deficiencies, Low, Medium and High. Is that possible with text? See screen shot.

I know I can do this if I made High = 3, Medium = 2, etc. and only had numeric values in the cell using the Max function; however, the people I'm working with need to see the text >.<

Tags:

Best Answer

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Melissa Dudley ,

It's a bit lengthy but try:

=IF(MAX(value(left([issue A]@row,1)), value(left([issue b]@row,1)), value(left([issue c]@row,1)), value(left([issue d]@row,1))=1, "Low", IF(MAX(value(left([issue A]@row,1)), value(left([issue b]@row,1)), value(left([issue c]@row,1)), value(left([issue d]@row,1))=2, "Medium", IF(MAX(value(left([issue A]@row,1)), value(left([issue b]@row,1)), value(left([issue c]@row,1)), value(left([issue d]@row,1))=3, "High", "No Deficiencies")

Work?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Melissa Dudley ,

It's a bit lengthy but try:

=IF(MAX(value(left([issue A]@row,1)), value(left([issue b]@row,1)), value(left([issue c]@row,1)), value(left([issue d]@row,1))=1, "Low", IF(MAX(value(left([issue A]@row,1)), value(left([issue b]@row,1)), value(left([issue c]@row,1)), value(left([issue d]@row,1))=2, "Medium", IF(MAX(value(left([issue A]@row,1)), value(left([issue b]@row,1)), value(left([issue c]@row,1)), value(left([issue d]@row,1))=3, "High", "No Deficiencies")

Work?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Sorry for the delay! It worked great. THANK YOU!

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you found a solution. Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Mark

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!