Is There A Way To Automate "Clear Contents" of a Cell?

We have a Status Update dropdown menu that has to be updated every day before 1:00PM and then we generate the report from the Activity Log at 2:00 PM.

The users are complaining that the "Save" option doesn't come up if they don't make a change in the Dropdown menu. ( In some cases the Dropdown option Status they select will not change day to day, but they are still required to update it daily to confirm they have spoken with the person updating the status.) When they are trying to select the same dropdown menu select the second day in a row, they say have to select something else and save it and then change it back -- otherwise they are unable to save.

As an 'easy' solution I'd like to know if there is an Automation option for "Clear Contents"? If there is, I'd just run the clear contents Automation for this cell at 5:00 AM every day to clear it before they start selecting the new Day's status.

Please let me know if there is a way to do this or if there is another way to solve the problem.

The objective is to collect updated status from this column from every user every day at 2:00 PM and get it into a daily report (and preferably a running excel report.)

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Julie Moran

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There is not a "Clear Contents" automation, but that could be pretty handy. Feel free to Submit a Product Enhancement Request when you are able.

In the meantime, you could have a date column where the users update the date every time. This way there is at least something on every row that gets updated even if the status doesn't change.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Thanks Paul,

After reading others requests for "Clear Contents" under various scenarios, I suspect that having the ability to select the option to "Clear Contents" in Automation would help many applications. So I will submit a request for product enhancement. As I'm sure you can appreciate, the goal is to have the users key as little as possible to effect an outcome - so forcing them to key a date won't work. What I'm doing right now is going in every morning at 6:00 AM and clearing the contents of the specific cells/column. Then on the Activity Report I just have it remove my activity. But I definitely need an automation to clear the contents.

Looking forward to more ideas. Thanks

• Thank you for the new Automation capability to "clear contents"! Saves me about 15 minutes per day!!! Looking forward to more Automation functionality......