Limiting Available Values with Dynamic View

Let me describe the scenario:

(1) A business has multiple locations

(2) Each location has an administrator. Some administrators are assigned to multiple locations.

(3) Each location administrator is responsible for scheduling interviews for new hires at the locations they are responsible for.

I am trying to set up a sheet and process where location administrators can schedule interviews for candidates at one of their locations, who will be interviewing with employees who work at that location.

The sheet will list all of the relevant information (office, candidate, interviewee, evaluation, etc.). The interviewers will be notified when an interview is scheduled and can complete the evaluation of each candidate, using Dynamic View, so the interviewers are limited to the records assigned to them as interviewers. The location administrators will be notified when an evaluation is complete and can take further action on the records for which they are the administrators.

Here is where I am stuck: When an administrator completes a form to create a new interview, I want to limit the locations available for the administrator to pick from to the locations for which they are the administrator. Therefore, if there are 50 locations and the administrator is assigned to 3 locations, they can only choose from those 3. I can create a lookup table that associates each administrator with their offices, if that helps.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Mark,

It's not possible to change drop downs dynamically beard on another field or criteria. You could create a separate sheet and form for each administrator with only their locations as options in the drop downs. Once the form was submitted, you could use automation to move the completed row from the administrator's sheet to a main sheet.

Someone else may have better options for you.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Mark Salamon

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Mark's excellent advice/answer.

If I'm not mistaken, you could set it up with the Form Logic feature in Dynamic View.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Andrée Starå I'm not sure that I understand how that would work. The form logic of dynamic view can only determine whether to show a field, whether to allow it to be edited and/or whether to require it. You cannot get more granular than that and choose to show some of the options in a choice field and not others.

@Mark Cronk I appreciate the answer. In our case we would need about 50 different sheets to handle each administrator. Whenever I hear that a solution requires copying the same thing 50 times my only thought is: "No". :( This requires some changes on the SmartSheet side to better support these types of situations.

Thanks both.