WorkApps - Sheet filtering based on the Role

Erica Cole
Erica Cole ✭✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

I have created a work app with multiple dashboards for each of my regions. They are all being fed by one list (Job List). I am looking for a way to do an automatic filter, so that the list is filtered depending on the role. For example Texas Region dashboard has the Job List sheet embedded, I want that sheet to auto filter based on the "Texas" role. The way I have it currently set up is the role can access their dashboard and the Job List. I have created a shared filter each region on the Job List. I would prefer that the separate roles are only able to see the rows on the Job List that are assigned to their region.

*** I am already assigning roles for each region. A person with the Texas role would not be able to see the Oklahoma dashboard.

Tags:

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Erica Cole

Instead of embedding a sheet into the Dashboard, what about using a Report to filter the rows? You would need to create individual Reports per-region, setting the filter in the Report to be for that specific Region. (See: Create Filter Criteria to Control Data in Report Builder).

Then you could either use the Report widget or a Web Content Widget (from the published link of the Report) to display this unique view in each of their unique Dashboards.

I'm suggesting this because a Published Sheet embedded in a Dashboard can only have one default filter set, across all Published views. This means if you set the default filter to be "Texas", but you're using the same Published Link of the sheet in Oklahoma's dashboard, Oklahoma would initially see the Texas filter. (See: Set a Default Sharing View).

Let me know if this would work for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @Erica Cole

Instead of embedding a sheet into the Dashboard, what about using a Report to filter the rows? You would need to create individual Reports per-region, setting the filter in the Report to be for that specific Region. (See: Create Filter Criteria to Control Data in Report Builder).

Then you could either use the Report widget or a Web Content Widget (from the published link of the Report) to display this unique view in each of their unique Dashboards.

I'm suggesting this because a Published Sheet embedded in a Dashboard can only have one default filter set, across all Published views. This means if you set the default filter to be "Texas", but you're using the same Published Link of the sheet in Oklahoma's dashboard, Oklahoma would initially see the Texas filter. (See: Set a Default Sharing View).

Let me know if this would work for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Erica Cole
    Erica Cole ✭✭✭✭

Thank you, this was a lot of help. I was able to achieve my exact goal and it's actually a lot cleaner display than the embedded sheet.

• Genevieve P.

No problem, I'm glad that works for you!