Alert Based on Cell Data on a Sheet Created from a Template

Good afternoon all,

I am currently using Smartsheet to record hourly inspections on 13 machines we have in our factory.

As the inspection required for each machine doesn't change we have a master sheet, which I created a template from. The operators create a new sheet from the template each time the machine starts to make a new product; this sheet is then given a unique name [Product Number - Production Order Number]. We have a tablet on each machine for our operators to record their inspection findings on.

On the inspection report sheet our operators will also record any scrap that occurs during the production run. I would like to be sent an alert every time the operator records a certain number of scrap. However, the automation I set up does not work when creating a new sheet from a template. Is there a way around this? I've tried conditional formatting contact cells but when you put an email address into the contact cell it doesn't alert the person.

Would a form possible be able to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Answers

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you describe the automation? What are the triggers, conditions, and actions. When you say it doesn't run, is it missing? Disabled?

• Lee Wood
    Lee Wood ✭✭✭

Hi James,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

The automation is here:

But when I generate a new sheet from the template I get this error on the automation:

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/12/21

When you go to edit the workflow on the new sheet, what is the error? It seems like the cause might be because those users aren't shared on the sheet, or there are restrictions being placed on the sheet.

1. Navigate to your template
    2. Choose Automation / Manage Automation.
    3. Select the gear icon in the upper right
    4. Ensure that the notification privileges in your sheet are set to "Limited" or "Unrestricted".

OR make sure your sheets are being created in a shared workspace where the two emails you are trying to email are always shared on the sheet.

• Lee Wood
    Lee Wood ✭✭✭

Good morning Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me, I've tried the proposed solution and unfortunately it did not work.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Could you share a screenshot of the workflow itself? Is there any indicator on WHY it isn't working within the view of the workflow?