Portal - restricting certain links on a portal to specific users

I'm brand new (less than 1 week) to Smartsheet.

I am creating a portal for a multi-user type team. We are the architect for a multi-location client. We use Smartsheet with the client/ owner, contractor and engineers as well as our internal project team. I want to have certain links to sheets be available to everyone and some to be available only to our internal team, but I want it all accessible from the one portal so there isn't a duplication of data. If I set sharing restrictions with each sheet, will that do the trick? I don't want the owner to see our internal task list or proposal checklists, but I want it all in one place. I would create a Architecture Firm Name Internal Team Section at the bottom of the portal.

Thank you for any guidance you could give.

Best Answers

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Yes, you could do the permissions on each sheet individually. Or you could create two workspaces. One for the internal and one for everyone. And apply the sharing privileges to each workspace. The benefit of workspaces is that if you add new sheets the sharing gets set automatically by the workspace. And if there are new users that have to be added, you only have to add them to one workspace rather than multiple individual sheets. (Management of users can become a headache)

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Becky Rushford

I hope you're well and safe!

There are a couple of ways to structure it, but essentially, if they aren't shared, they can't access the Smartshete items.

Will everything be separated by a sheet or similar?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Yes, you could do the permissions on each sheet individually. Or you could create two workspaces. One for the internal and one for everyone. And apply the sharing privileges to each workspace. The benefit of workspaces is that if you add new sheets the sharing gets set automatically by the workspace. And if there are new users that have to be added, you only have to add them to one workspace rather than multiple individual sheets. (Management of users can become a headache)

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Becky Rushford

I hope you're well and safe!

There are a couple of ways to structure it, but essentially, if they aren't shared, they can't access the Smartshete items.

Will everything be separated by a sheet or similar?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.