User name instead of email address

Hello there,

I created a form to ask questions. In the related sheet, I am able to have "Created by" or "Modified by" which both give me the email address. I need the name.

Is there any any option that gives me the First+Surname of the user who created the record? I could use FIND, MID, etc. formulas to create that name, however, I thought there might be a direct way to have it. Actually I need the name instead of email address.

Answers

• paulen
    paulen ✭✭✭

I´m looking for this answer too. Someone?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Mehran

Currently the System Columns (Created and Modified) can only display the email address of the user that made the change, as you've found.

The way to pull across either the Contact associated or the Fist and Last name would be to set up a secondary sheet as a table identifying the email address associated with each name.

Then you would use an INDEX(MATCH formula to pull through the details you want from this table into your current sheet, like so:

If you choose to go down this route, let me know if you need any help creating the INDEX(MATCH formula!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi @Genevieve P.

I see that this issue was reported back at the middle of the past year. Do you know if by now there's an improvement in the Smartheet Platform to display the name of the user instead of the email? I'm generating a document from mapping and it will be very helpful if I can put in the field the name instead of the email.

Thanks!

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Federico Prado

System columns will only display the email address of the user, not the contact name. The solution above would still be the current way to get their associated title/name/contact based on the email address.