Conditional Import from "Master" Sheet

Options

I have a "master" sheet called "Verified Content List." This sheet contains about 600 rows. Each row contains metadata for a specific assets. A column in that sheet called [Content Type] identifies each asset's type (e.g., Data Sheet, Ordering Guide, Battle Card, etc.) The list is updated once per week via Data Uploader as new assets are published and older assets are expired.

(Also, FWIW, each row on the Verified Content List is assigned a unique "lookup" number that never changes and numbers are not re-used once an asset expires.)

I have a second worksheet (called "Battle Card Curation Audit") where I want to isolate the assets with the [Content Type] of "Battle Card." I then have columns on this sheet where I can identify the specific competitors for which we have created and published a Battle Card.

I do not want to have to manually cut/paste the battle card assets from the Verified Content List, and I cannot create a report form the Verified Content List, because I cannot then add the needed data to track which competitors we've covered. I also cannot use a workflow to move or copy the battle card rows, because the columns between the Verified Content List and the Battle Card Curation Audit are NOT identical.

So, what I am looking for is a formula or conditional cell-linking process that will pull the Battle Cards from the Verified Content List to the Battle Card Curation Audit worksheet.

Suggestions?

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Danielle Arteaga

I hope you're well and safe!

There are a couple of options.

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Danielle Arteaga
    Danielle Arteaga ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Andrée - how would VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCHwork here? My Battle Card Curation Audit sheet is, essentially, blank. What would I "lookup" or "match" on that sheet from the Verified Content List that would automate identifying and pulling over the few dozen battle cards from the 600 assets on the List?

I don't see constructing a series of helper sheets as a scalable solution here, either. For that amount of work, I can just manually filter the VCL and cut/paste the battle cards to my audit sheet, unless there's something here I'm missing from your explanation?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!