Hiding rows

Is the ability to hide rows something that will ever be made possible?

Answers

• Hi @wctk

You can hide rows by creating a Filter on your sheet to only show the rows you want visible. If you set this to be a Shared Filter, then you can make it the Default View when your sheet is opened. (See: Create a Filter to Show or Hide Data)

If you don't want the rows to be visible for anyone else at all, you could use a Report to filter your rows instead, so it only displays the content you want to show. Then you could Publish the Report or have it as a Report Widget in a Dashboard to display this data without sharing the underlying sheet.

If neither of these options will work for you, it would be helpful to know a bit more about your specific process and use-case!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Hi Genevieve.

Thankyou for your response. I'll look into the filter option a little further to see if it will work for what I'm trying to accomplish. Essentially what I am trying to do is hide children rows from sheet viewers. Ideally I would like to be able to collapse a parent row, hiding its children, and then be able to lock it so viewers could not expand the parent row.

Any ideas?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 05/17/21

Hi @wctk

The way I would do what you're describing is to create a Report that has only the Parent rows showing, and then share this Report as a Published link.

You'd need a helper column with a formula to identify if a Row has Children or not.

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Primary Column]@row)) > 0, "Parent", "Child")

This would be the column that you use to Filter your Report. Does this make sense? Let me know if you'd like to see screen captures of what I'm describing and I'm happy to help further.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi Genevieve.

Right now I have my client shared as a viewer to a workspace, in this workspace there is a budget tracking sheet. The budget tracking sheet has multiple children rows that I want to keep hidden from the viewer. With the creation and published link of a report, would I have to unshare them as a viewer to the budget sheet? If so, I would essentially have to remove the budget sheet from the workspace. Would the report then be the shared item in the workspace?

This is a lot for my brain to process on a Monday...

• Hi @wctk

Close! So you would want to either un-share that user from the entire workspace, or yes, remove the source sheet from the Workspace so they don't have access to the child rows.

However you wouldn't be able to share them to the Report because to see rows in a Report they'd need to be shared to the underlying sheet, which is what you're trying to prevent.

You would either want to provide them with the Published URL of the Report, or embed this Report into a Dashboard that they have access to (perhaps a Dashboard in this workspace?).

Here's a Help Article on sharing Reports for more information: Share or Publish Your Report.

• Hi, this issue has been raised since 2015 - https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/1947/hiding-rows

Will there ever be a way to hide rows without using a filter. A filter is specific to the individual, but we want to be able to hide "completed" rows in a project sheet without using reports (causing users to go between 2 sheets) and filters (individual to user), in the same way as hiding columns.

• Hi @STGprojects

If you don't want your users to see "completed" rows anymore, I would recommend using a Move Row workflow to move those rows into an Archive sheet. That way they're cleared from the sheet and "hidden" from view, but still stored in Smartsheet if you ever need to access them in the future.

See: Automatically move or copy rows between sheets

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!