New "change cell" automation

Liking the new functionality but having a problem in the following fact pattern. We have a project sheet with all the usual project columns (Start Data, Duration, End Data, etc.). Want to change the End Date value to the date on which the use changes the status column to Complete. Doesn't seem to let me do that. The reason I want to this is to automatically adjust dependencies based on the "actual" completion date. Any ideas?

Answers

• Matthew Flebbe
    Matthew Flebbe ✭✭✭✭

Hi Mitch,

You can create and automation for this:

First create a Date column for "Date Closed" and a Status Column. In this example I simply used a Open/Closed drop down:

Then add your automation:

Using the above automation, any time the "Status" is changed to "Closed", the automation will record the current date.

Hope that helps!

• Thank you. That is a great solution generally but it unfortunately doesn’t address my specific problem which is needing to change the “Finish” date in your example. What I am trying to do is have any dependent tasks automatically adjust based on the actual finish date and those tasks are already keyed to the finish date in the predecessor task. Does that make sense? Maybe there’s a workaround that’s not obvious to me. I can manually change the Finish date (which adjusts the Duration) but can’t do it in the automation.