Using COUNTIFS and NOT together

Options

I am using the following formula and getting an error:

=COUNTIFS({Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Owner}, $[Primary Column]@row, {Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Product Type}, "Prime Share", {Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Month Opened}, 2, {Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Year Opened}, 2021, {Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Discrepancy Type}, NOT("MIP"))

The issue comes into play when I put in the NOT. Any idea on how to fix this?

Tags:

Best Answer

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Try this instead...

=COUNTIFS({Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Owner}, $[Primary Column]@row, {Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Product Type}, "Prime Share", {Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Month Opened}, 2, {Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Year Opened}, 2021, {Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Discrepancy Type}, @cell <> "MIP")

• Bobby Nelson
    Bobby Nelson ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Paul. Unfortunately, that isn't working either. I tried it with using @cell <> "MIP" and with using <> "MIP"

• Mike Raposo
    Mike Raposo ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Bobby,

The issue you're having is that the NOT function can only be used to provide the opposite of a Logical Expression and simply putting "MIP" in the parenthesis does not constitute a logical expression.

I believe there's two solutions here, the first being replacing ...NOT("MIP")) with ...NOT(@cell = "MIP"))

The second option would be to substitute ...NOT("MIP")) with ...@cell <> "MIP" as <> is the operator for not equal to.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best,

Mike

• Bobby Nelson
    Bobby Nelson ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you Mike for looking at this. Unfortunately, neither of those methods are working for me.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
  • Kelly Drake
    Kelly Drake Overachievers Alumni
    Options

Looking at the formula, I can't tell why it won't work - I've used NOT nested in COUNTIFS.

Are all the ranges coming from the same sheet??

I'm wondering if this would work:

=COUNTIFS({Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Owner}, $[Primary Column]@row, {Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Product Type}, "Prime Share", {Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Month Opened}, 2, {Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Year Opened}, 2021, {Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Discrepancy Type}, NOT({Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Discrepancy Type} = "MIP"))

Kelly Drake (she/her/hers)

STARBUCKS COFFEE COMPANY| business optimization product manager

• Bobby Nelson
    Bobby Nelson ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The weirdest thing. I tried the formula in a different cell and it worked. So, I copied and pasted from that cell and now it works. Here is the one that works:

=COUNTIFS({Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Owner}, $[Primary Column]@row, {Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Product Type}, "Prime Share", {Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Month Opened}, 2, {Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Year Opened}, 2021, {Master Discrepancy Log 2021 Discrepancy Type}, @cell <> "MIP")

Thank you Paul and everyone for helping!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!