Timesheets

Hi,

I am pretty new to this so please bare with me.

I would like to create a timesheet system for all my staff/consultants, but struggling how best to do this. I have created a single sheet that does the basics of recording name, start and finish time etc. and calculating totals.

What I would really like is a front end timesheet template for the whole week that they fill in and the information is then passed to the main sheet.

I can't seem to find what I need in any of the templates and I have been experimenting with things like forms, lookups, excel imports etc.. but can never get it right.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Steve Stocks

I hope you're well and safe!

Do you have anything else you can share? Maybe an excel on how you'd like it to be structured, or maybe a mockup.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Thanks for the quick response.

Here's a view of the current excel sheet the guys use. Basically we currently have to manually capture the data from each submitted sheet and use the information for invoicing and also recording into another spreadsheet for fatigue etc..

Steve

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Steve Stocks

Happy to help!

One way to structure it could be something like this.

• Replicate the current structure as much as possible
    • Have an approval process each week that locks the rows for further editing
    • Copy the rows to a master sheet
    • Unlock the rows so the employee can fill them out again

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• With regards to copying the rows to the master sheet, what is the best way to do this in an automated way?

• would you recreate the timesheet in Smartsheet for each employee/consultant with a check box against each line and use workflow to copy line across once checked?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Steve Stocks

Please see my answers/comments below.

With regards to copying the rows to the master sheet, what is the best way to do this in an automated way?

[Andrée Starå] It depends, but an Automated Workflow triggers weekly, by date reached, or maybe by checking a box.

would you recreate the timesheet in Smartsheet for each employee/consultant with a check box against each line and use workflow to copy line across once checked?

[Andrée Starå] I think I would add a specific sheet/consultant, but copy the rows over weekly, so everything is "grouped".

Make sense?

Would that work?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Hi @Andrée Starå,

Thanks for the feedback. Had a go at using the checkbox way, Only issue there being that checkboxes are added to the entire column rather than individual cells. So potentially the employee could tick a load of irrelevant rows that would get added to the main sheet. So I have changed the column to a drop down list selector and that seems to work quite well.

Only query I have now is regarding duplicate lines. Is there a way that potential duplicate lines are not copied across?

Thanks

Steve

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Steve Stocks

You're more than welcome!

You can hide the checkboxes by using a trick.

Add punctuation or something similar in the checkbox cell and color the text in the same color as the background.

When would you have duplicate rows?