How to do independent cell conditional formatting in the same row

I have the conditional formatting set up exactly as I need however, if the first rule is met, it then applies to the other "Days Outstanding" no matter if they are met or not.

For example, the IT status is "submitted" and days outstanding is greater than 3, so it is correct to be highlighted. However, the Security is "Approved" so therefore it should not be highlighted. When I change the IT status to "approved", the security status then is not highlighted.

I need these rules to be independent of their own column/cell.

Best Answer

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Hanna,

The piece of your conditional formatting you shared looks good. Do any of your other conditions reference Security Days Outstanding? Confirm that all are only applying formatting to the single cell you want highlighted. Confirm that the Security Days Outstanding cell isn't hard formatted Red. If all that looks good, the next level of troubleshooting is to start at the top and change the formatting on each criteria. Have it change green instead of red. Change it back if it doesn't cause the error. Figure out which criteria rule is causing the erroneous change. Fix it.

Good luck,

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Hannah Mills

I hope you're well and safe!

You can reorder the rules. It goes from the top to the bottom.

Make sense?

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• However, I want them to be independent of each other. Each rule covers a group's approval so I need to know what group I am waiting for approval from and that is not dependent on each other.

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Hanna,

The piece of your conditional formatting you shared looks good. Do any of your other conditions reference Security Days Outstanding? Confirm that all are only applying formatting to the single cell you want highlighted. Confirm that the Security Days Outstanding cell isn't hard formatted Red. If all that looks good, the next level of troubleshooting is to start at the top and change the formatting on each criteria. Have it change green instead of red. Change it back if it doesn't cause the error. Figure out which criteria rule is causing the erroneous change. Fix it.

Good luck,

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Hannah Mills

Glad you got it working!

I saw that Mark answered already!

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Best,

Andrée

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.