Approval Workflow: Locking Fields in Emailed Approval for Request an Update Action Selection Option

Hello,

attachments have been an issue to say the least to send out in a workflow. I've seen that another option can be used instead of "alert" after something has been approved or declined when sharing emails with filled out questions and with attachments is to have the final step as "Request an Update". The issue is that when selected email recipients get this email they can actually modify and make updates on this email and then they have a button saying to submit. We just want them to view the answers and any attachments sent in the originally form filled. I noticed someone said the following:

"If you do not want your recipients to be able to make changes to the sheet, you can lock the columns that are sent in the Update Request fields. "

Questions

How do you do this? Can you lock this fields (see below 2nd pic) so that they don't accidently start modifying these fields? Does this work for both an approved and declined form?

Thank you.

1st Email Received By Recipients After Approval - they have to click Open Update Form to see the attachments

Page Opens: Recipients can see questions answered and may be tempted to start typing in information and then they have this submit button that can be confusing for they really do not need this button since the goal is just for them to view the below with any attachments provided

Thank you.

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @MONICA BUENDIA

I hope you're well and safe!

You'd need to lock the columns/rows, or it will depend on the receiver's permissions.

How locked rows and columns appear

• Locked rows will be sent in an update request if the recipient has Editor-level sharing permissions or lower, but the recipient will not be able to make any edits.
    • If the update request recipient is the sheet Owner or shared with Admin-level permissions, locked rows and columns will be editable from the update requests

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hello,

do we have to share the source sheet with the recipients in order for them to get these email notifications? We did not want to.

Thank you.

• Andre,

so you are saying that the recipients would have to 1. one have access to the source sheet and2. at a level of editor not sharing or viewer correct? What is the purpose of the following lock rows feature in the workflow I say:

Thank you.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@MONICA BUENDIA

No. They don't need to have access to the sheet at all.

Depending on your automation permissions, you can send an update request to anyone with an email address—even if they aren’t shared to the source sheet. See Sharing Permission Levels and Control Who Is Notified About Alerts and Requests for more information on how this works.

How locked rows and columns appear

• Locked rows will be sent in an update request if the recipient has Editor-level sharing permissions or lower, but the recipient will not be able to make any edits.
    • If the update request recipient is the sheet Owner or shared with Admin-level permissions, locked rows and columns will be editable from the update requests

Make sense?

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.