Assign To workflow using full names?

Hi

Am using the new 'Assign people' in work flows and rather then use the name in the 'Contact List' column Smartsheet is using the users full name. (see attached). The non licenced user's full name appears nowhere in my contact or user management lists. (just deleted and ran a test, still full name)

The use of the full name is causing report metrics to be missed as cross sheet reference look ups and other are based on "David".

Regards Jason.

PS. We have recently signed on to Dynamic View and await implementation - hope this does not cause an issue. the above workflow was set up prior to 'DV' upgrade.

Cheers.

Forever forwards Backwards never.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jason P

The Assigned To workflow will populate the contact column with that user's full Contact information, based on their Smartsheet Account. This means that if your user, David, has a Smartsheet account (even just a free collaborator account), the workflow is grabbing the name from his Profile.

The way you have edited your Contacts here is for your own personal viewing, like adding a nickname on top, so you see the name "David" associated with this contact. However David's Profile will have a full name, which is why this is being pushed into the Contact Column via automation. (See bullet point number three in this article: Tips and Best Practices for Using Contacts)

If these users are part of your organization (such as a non-licensed member), then you can adjust what name is associated with their accounts by going to the User Management section and removing out the Last Name:

Let me know if this makes sense and if this update will work for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @Jason P

The Assigned To workflow will populate the contact column with that user's full Contact information, based on their Smartsheet Account. This means that if your user, David, has a Smartsheet account (even just a free collaborator account), the workflow is grabbing the name from his Profile.

The way you have edited your Contacts here is for your own personal viewing, like adding a nickname on top, so you see the name "David" associated with this contact. However David's Profile will have a full name, which is why this is being pushed into the Contact Column via automation. (See bullet point number three in this article: Tips and Best Practices for Using Contacts)

If these users are part of your organization (such as a non-licensed member), then you can adjust what name is associated with their accounts by going to the User Management section and removing out the Last Name:

Let me know if this makes sense and if this update will work for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Jason P
    Jason P ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Genevieve P

Yes that fixed the issue, in this case I had David and others in the team affected by this issue use the email address set up for them in my User management.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Forever forwards Backwards never.

• Genevieve P.

No problem! I'm glad you were able to sort it out.