Is it possible? Have an IF formula to check certain boxes.

I have two columns Target Age and Target Grade. Can you have a formula that will look at the Target Age column and select the corresponding Target Grade. Both of them are multiple select drop down columns.

If 5-7 is selected, then check the box K-2nd grade, 8-10 is selected, then check the box 3rd-5th grade, 11-13 is selected, then check the box 6th-8th grade, and 14-18 is selected, then check the box 9th-12th grade. I can get it to check one box but not multiple options if needed.

Tags:

Best Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I don't think a nested IF will work because the poster wants to have multiple outputs in a single cell based on multiple inputs in the [Target Age] column. I think this may be more appropriate where we string multiple IFs together instead...

=IF(HAS([Target Age]@row,"5-7"), "K-2nd grade" + CHAR(10)) + IF(HAS([Target Age]@row,"8-10"), "3rd-5th grade" + CHAR(10)) + IF(HAS([Target Age]@row,"11-13"), "6th-8th grade" + CHAR(10)) + IF(HAS([Target Age]@row,"14-18"), "9th-12th grade")

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

CHAR(10) is a line break which is the delimiter in multi-select dropdown columns. This allows it to be displayed and referenced as multiple selections within the same cell as opposed to a single text string.

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!