Dynamic View not Saving

Options
Joseph Noel
Joseph Noel ✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hello,

I have several Dynamic Views set up for different sheets but one is not saving and I cannot figure out why. The sheets are large, with about 4000 rows and 50 Columns, all of the sheets are roughly the same size depending on the amount of submissions they get from the intake form and this is the only one giving me trouble.

On the sheet itself I can make changes and save it, take about 20 seconds to save but it goes through. In the Dynamic View I make a change and click save, it spins for about a minute and then tells me there was an error saving and to try again (added a screen shot of the error below).

Has anyone had this same issue or know of a cause for this?

Thanks

Joe

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Joseph Noel

I hope you're well and safe!

Strange!

If you haven’t already, I would recommend that you reach out to the Smartsheet Support Team.

Let me know what you find out.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• TJ North
    TJ North ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am encountering the same issue. @Joseph Noel did you ever get a resolution from Smartsheet support? If you did, I'd love to know what that is in case the same resolution would apply to my issue.

• Bridgett Alonso
    Options

Hi @Andrée Starå,

I have also encountered this issue and would love to know how to fix it. I rely on the Dynamic View and really need it to allow the users to save the changes that they've made. Any guidance would be very much appreciated!

• TJ North
    TJ North ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Bridgett Alonso I escalated this to Smartsheet support earlier this afternoon. I can update the thread when I hear back from them regarding resolution and/or root cause.

• Joseph Noel
    Options

@Bridgett Alonso @TJ North I was able to get with someone from Smartsheet through a contact from my company and screen shared to show the issue as well as gave them some browser data that we captured to show the error.

Never got a good resolution but it came down to a few things: sheet size, amount of users in the sheet at the same time, saving frequency, and cross sheet references.

We recommended to all users to change their settings to not auto save so frequently, most had it set to every minute and while this sounds good to not lose data you entered it is doing whats called a merge save since multiple people are in the same sheet auto saving potentially ever few seconds.

Every time the sheet refreshes the cross reference look ups also run and when you have 5000 rows and 10 or so columns are running look ups thats 50k look ups every time it refreshes which cause delays. So we split up some of the sheets by smaller territories since we need the look ups to run and try to keep the sheets to about 2k rows that have about 70 columns at any given time.

We also changed most automations to trigger on a time schedule rather than when a row or cell is changed. The people from smatsheet said that this should help with the overall complexity of the sheet. So for certain automations that we like to trigger instantly (when a status is changed for example), I just duplicated the automation and have it trigger every hour throughout the day and look for a particular status.

Hope that helps give you some ideas to keep your sheets running.

• TJ North
    TJ North ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Joseph Noel That's great information, thank you. Many of those aspects (e.g. cross sheet references, automation) are at play in the sheet that drives the view that is misbehaving for me. I'll see what I can do to make some small adjustments to see if that gives me some relief. Thank you for taking the time to provide that outline!