Automation settings

I am setting up automation on some projects sheets that someone else has created to copy rows to another sheet. I have admin and systems admin permission settings to Smartsheet. The sheet I want to copy the rows to are not showing up. If I go to a project sheet I created, the automation settings show all my sheets. If I am admin and systems admin, why are all my sheets not showing up?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Michelle Maas

It sounds like there are two different types of Admin permissions being discussed here.

The System Admin permissions are for your account-level settings, giving you the ability to manage users in your company's plan (including downloading Sheet Access Reports or transferring all owned items from one user to another).

The sheet-level Admin permissions are sharing permissions on the sheets themselves. This is separate to your Account permissions, as it's likely there are many sheets you don't need direct access to in order to perform System responsibilities.

In order to Move or Copy rows from one sheet to another, the user setting up that Alert needs to have Admin or Owner sheet-level permissions on both sheets.

If you're only an Admin of the current sheet where the automation is being set up, you'll also need to ensure the Owner of that sheet is shared on the Destination Sheet as well. Essentially, you can't "steal" rows away from the owner, shifting their owned rows to an item they don't have access to. Does that help clarify? (See: Automatically Move or Copy Rows Between Sheets)

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Michelle Maas

Hope you are fine, In order for a sheet to appear in the Select a sheet window, both you and the owner of the source sheet must have Owner- or Admin-level sharing permissions to the destination sheet.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• Michelle Maas
    Michelle Maas ✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/07/21

Hi @Bassam Khalil, thanks for getting back to me. Yes, that is why I said I am an admin and systems admin, and so is the sheet owner, yet I can't see all my sheets in the automation unless I'm an owner of the sheet. I don't understand why Smartsheet restricts admin/system admin permissions. In all other databases and platforms I have used, as the systems admin, I had full access to everything. So basically in order to be able to do my work as a systems admin to Smartsheet, including doing backups, I need to be shared into every single sheet. I cannot understand why Smartsheet functions like this?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Michelle Maas

It sounds like there are two different types of Admin permissions being discussed here.

The System Admin permissions are for your account-level settings, giving you the ability to manage users in your company's plan (including downloading Sheet Access Reports or transferring all owned items from one user to another).

The sheet-level Admin permissions are sharing permissions on the sheets themselves. This is separate to your Account permissions, as it's likely there are many sheets you don't need direct access to in order to perform System responsibilities.

In order to Move or Copy rows from one sheet to another, the user setting up that Alert needs to have Admin or Owner sheet-level permissions on both sheets.

If you're only an Admin of the current sheet where the automation is being set up, you'll also need to ensure the Owner of that sheet is shared on the Destination Sheet as well. Essentially, you can't "steal" rows away from the owner, shifting their owned rows to an item they don't have access to. Does that help clarify? (See: Automatically Move or Copy Rows Between Sheets)

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now