How do I set up when multiple people need to do the same task and mark complete?

Sara Ross
Sara Ross ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a project where one of the tasks is for several people to review a document and provide an assessment. I would like each of the individuals to be able to indicate when they have completed the task. Inititally, I set up the smartsheet with a row "Review and Submit" in the primary task column, and then rows below for each assigned individual, but left the task blank since it was referenced above.

The problem I run into is when I use the automation tool to alert assignees the task is blank. Suggestions on how to set up to solve this problem?

Answers

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/08/21

Not sure if you want to really measure completion percentage and/or status for each of those individuals, but if not then would assigning all the individuals in the Assignee cell help? You can do that by setting the column properties to accept multiple contacts by checking the "Allow multiple contacts per cell" checkbox.

If not then you can breakdown the overall task into sub-tasks like and the rollup will help you track instead,

1 Administrative Draft Report

1.1 Review and Submit Comments

1.1.1 Reviewer 1

1.1.2 Reviewer 2

1.1.3 Reviewer 3

• Sara Ross
    Sara Ross ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you. Unfortunately, I do need to measure completion for each of the individuals.

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Sara Ross

I often use a helper column to bring Parent info from primary column into child rows. If a helper column is possible

=IF(COUNT(Children(Task@row))>0, Task@row, Parent())

This formula checks to see if the row has any children. If yes (which means it is a Parent since it has a count greater than zero) then it copies the contents of the Task@row. If not, it copies whatever is in the Parent row of that helper column.

You could then bring this helper column into your Alert to show the task name.

Would this work for you?

Kelly

• Sara Ross
    Sara Ross ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you. This definitely helps. Is there any way to set up so it would reference both parent and grandparent?

Would there have been a better way for me to set up the sheet to avoid this issue?

Thanks!